Chapter 57

*Grace's P.O.V*

I sulk in the car, still upset with Mommy. My mouth hurt and I wanted to hit and kick everything that touched me, including my own clothing. She had put me in Jazmin's car seat which didn't make me feel any better. She kept saying it wasn't a car seat, that it was a booster seat and I needed and deserved it but I didn't!

"I want a toy. I want a toy now," I whine as I kick the back of the passenger seat. I had behaved so well and she had promised me a reward if I behaved! I had behaved so well I think I deserve two toys in fact! I kick the back of her seat just for good measure so she can deal with my anger.

"Grace Dawn Santini, you're lucky I haven't decided to pull this car over and spank you here and now after your behavior in the dentist's office. I have never been so upset with you and your tantrums before but you are very close to wearing my last bit of patience away and earning yourself a very serious punishment," Mommy says, making me shrink back in the car seat. She had used her scary scolding voice and I hated when she did that. I also hated when she used my full name...

"I was..." I try to explain myself even though I know I don't have a good reason for how I acted.

"You were being a brat and I am very disappointed in you," Mommy says, glancing back at me through the mirror. I bow my head, not wanting her to see my face or how upset I am as her words make me feel very bad. I sit quietly for the rest of the car ride, not even asking her to stop and get something to eat even though I was feeling hungry. To make matters even worse, we hit traffic on our way home too. I can't see how bad it is or why from my seat in the back but I just know this is going to take forever with my luck.

"Huh, I wonder what's going on..." Mommy wonders outloud, only increasing my desire to see out the front window more.

"Tell me, mommy! It's not fair that I can't see too! I shouldn't be back here! I called shotgun!! It's the rules and you said rules are important!" I huff at mommy, kicking the back of the seat again. This causes mommy to reach back and grab one of my legs, squeezing hard.

"Kick a seat one more time, young lady, and you will be very sorry. This will be the second warning, there won't be a third. Now ask nicely and I will be more than happy to talk about what I see." Mommy says in a warning tone while she glares at me since she is stopped and doesn't have to look at the road.

"I won't do it again, mommy. I promise." I say with tears forming in my eyes as she continues glaring at me. She lets go of my leg after my promise and returns her gaze back to the road as she now can pull forward some. Her squeezing hurt but the tears are more from the disappointment of making mommy give me another warning today than my leg being squeezed. I don't like making her mad at me.

"Do you still want to know what is happening? If so, ask with your manners, baby, and mommy will tell you." Mommy repeats, leaving me to sit in silence until I do...

"Not a baby..." I eventually mutter quietly, shutting my mouth when mommy gives me a warning look after hearing me.

"Can you please tell me what is happening, mommy?" I ask with an innocent look in answer to her glaring, breathing a sigh of relief when it stops.

"It looks like the police are doing some sort of vehicle inspection. I wonder why though... I don't remember hearing anything about this. They are stopping everyone though before allowing most through. Some are being pulled to the side for a more thorough inspection, it looks like. That is why there is traffic on this random road, baby." Mommy tells me and I swear she said baby just because I said I'm not.

"I really hope we can just go through. I've dealt with enough today and it's barely lunch time..." I hear mommy mutter under her breath to no one in particular again.