Chapter 10

*Grace's P.O.V*

Inside the bowl is one of my favorites of the meals my mom makes. My guess is it is leftovers because she wouldn't make this for lunch and it's not a quick thing she can just throw together. She says it's a family recipe from her great grandmother that has been passed down. The only real secret is the spices she uses but it's soo good. I can't wait to taste it but I quickly run into a problem.

As I try to scoop some onto the spoon, everything quickly slides off before I can get it an inch out of the bowl. Luckily, I was still over the bowl so no real mess besides some light splashing. Trying the fork end wasn't much better because the tongs are so small and rounded off. Sighing, I realize I only have one option and practically lean into the bowl since I can't lift the stupid thing and have to almost frantically scoop some into my mouth before anything can fall off the spoon. Finally, with a tiny serving in my mouth, I taste it and it's just as good as I remember.

My mom makes the best ham and beans I have ever tasted and no one can tell me otherwise. After my first taste, I can't help myself and almost shovel the remaining food into my mouth. When I'm finally down, I sit back and look to my mom but she isn't there anymore. Before I can question where she went, I see a glass of lemonade placed in front of me and feel a wet cloth pressed against my face before it's rubbed all over, cleaning me.

"And you wonder why you are wearing a bib... I swear, maybe I should have saved us from the mess and just fed you... Hands please." My mom more instructs then asks. I feel my face heat up as I hold up my hands for her to clean. It's not my fault she stuck the bowl to the table so I couldn't lift it. Almost like she heard my thoughts, I watch as mom easily and effortlessly lifts the bowl off the table. I can't help but gape at how easy that was for her.

"Your drink is in front of you. Spill it and you won't be seeing a big girl glass for a very long time." She warns me and this time, I don't take her threat lightly. For the first time in a long time, I actually use two hands to hold it and I gulp the lemonade down in one go before setting the now empty glass back down.

After putting it down, my mom returns with another helping of her ham and beans, and this time hands it to me to hold.

"It can't be any worse than on the table. Something tells me you might prove me wrong though." She tells me, kiss the top of my head before grabbing my empty glass and dropping it in the sink.

Determined not to prove her wrong, this time I go a lot slower. The bowl and stupid spork make it super frustrating but I try my best not to make a mess. Sadly my best still wasn't... I still ate like a toddler, okay? It isn't a moment I'm very proud of but the food was so good and I was pretty hungry. I blame it mainly on that stupid, tiny utensil that belongs in the trash it's so useless! When my mom saw me after I put my bowl down... after I put the bowl I was using down, I apparently earned yet another eye roll from her.

"Just use the corners of your bib to clean your face. It needs to be washed after my 'big girl' wore it claiming it wasn't necessary." My mom says, making my face heat up for what felt like the millionth time today. I do what she says though, and do my best to clean my face off.

"Are you ready to answer my questions now, Grace? On how you got here exactly and your choices to this point?" My mom asks, back to her way of speaking when she means business.

I nod my head yes, squirming in my seat slightly and feeling the strap restrict my motion. I want nothing more than to loosen it right now but I know better than to ask as I'm already getting a warning look from my squirming alone.

"Be a big girl and use your words please, Grace. Are you ready to talk now? Done with the excuses?" She asks again.

"Yes..." Is all I can say in my embarrassment of my mom once again reminding me to act... not even like an adult but just a "big girl."