Chapter 11

*Grace's P.O.V*

I love being on my mothers lap. It's just so comfortable and relaxing. I know I'm too old for it and my sisters tease me constantly for it but I don't really care. I enjoy it too much to give it up and with the way I'm feeling right now, I refuse to be anywhere else so I cling hard to her, refusing to let go for a second!

I spend a long time just curled up on my mother's lap while she tries to calm me down. She spends the time gently rocking me in her arms while she combs my hair with her fingers. Once I start to calm down some, she finally decides to speak again.

"Grace... I need you to understand how disappointed I am in you. I appreciate you wanting to surprise us. I'm not upset about that. In fact, I'm both excited and happy that you are finally home again. Hopefully for good this time too. I need you to understand that. The fact you surprised us isn't the problem. How you did it is the problem. You put your life in severe jeopardy with your actions over these last couple days. Someone should have been with you! At the very least, someone should have been updated on your every move so something could have been done if anything bad happened or just to check in on how it was going. Yes, I understand sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness than permission but you took it too far this time, young lady. If you had told anyone about your plans, they would have immediately told you that the surprise wasn't worth risking your life like that. Yes, that even includes Ashley. You got extremely lucky that you made it here in one piece. You don't understand how scary it is to think about how I almost lost my baby girl again. I can't go through this another time, Grace. I just can't... I love you too much to lose you." My mom says, breaking down into tears as she forces out the words. She hugs me even tighter into her as she finishes and buries her face into my hair, crying. I can't help but cling tighter to her too and accept her embrace.

"I'm sorry mommy... I won't do it again, I promise." I eventually say, biting my bottom lip as I'm not able to come up with anything better to say that might cheer her up.

"Yes, you won't be pulling this stunt again but not for the reasons you think. You have proven to me that you can't be trusted to make your own decisions while alone so you won't be left alone until you find a way to earn that trust back.," Mom eventually says as she gets ahold of her emotions and I bite back what I first wanted to say upon hearing this news. I want to tell her no way, that I will absolutely have some alone time. My sense of self preservation kicks in and I realize that this is actually quite a light punishment from her.

"What does that mean? You can't watch me all the time. Are you going to hire a babysitter for me then?" I ask, hoping the thought of that might help change her mind.

"A babysitter? Why... oh, you must have forgotten. I'm retired now, Grace, and your father is only working part-time and it's from home now. Technology is great, am I right? Plus, if we really can't watch you for whatever reason or just need a break, I will just pass you off to Zahira to watch. I'm sure she wouldn't mind since she will already be home watching my grand baby." She tells me and I stare at her open mouth.

"So Zahira will be my babysitter then!?" I ask in disbelief, earning an eye roll from my mother.

"You say that like you plan to behave like a child, Grace. Did you like being treated like Jazmin so much that you want it to continue? Is that it?" My mom asks, making me blush. It doesn't help that I'm still wrapped in her arms, sitting on her lap right now.

"Nooo! I would be very happy if that experience never happens again and is never, ever mentioned again! Especially around Za and El! I would never live it down if they ever found out!" I plead but I know it lands on deaf ears.

"I don't know. I kind of liked it and you just looked so very adorable in that booster with your little bib on. I could have done without the mess you created but it's going to happen with a toddler." She teases and I swear if it was possible to be anymore embarrassed right now, there would be steam coming out of my ears!

"Mom!! I'm not a baby!!!" I protest and she actually starts bouncing me on her lap in reply!!

"I don't know... you sure seem to be acting like one to me." My mom says with a smirk, making me break out of her hold as I scramble to my feet.

"I'm not a baby, mother! I'm an adult and I should be treated like one!" I tell her as I cross my arms and glare at her.

"I know you are trying to look angry at me Grace, baby, but all I see is a toddler throwing a tantrum about not being called a big girl. I think Jazmin just did that exact pose because she doesn't want to be called a baby anymore. She is a big girl in her big girl pullups so we can't call her a baby anymore." My mother informs me, chuckling at my actions or the memory I invoked, I'm not sure. What I am sure about is how unfair this is and how my mother needs to stop embarrassing me. Before I can stop myself, I stomp my foot, embarrassing myself further.

"Ah, yes, we can't forget the classic tantrum footstomp, now can we." Mom says, still laughing.

"Grace... I never said you wouldn't be an adult. All I said is you won't be alone. You will be living with your father and I for a while so even without this punishment, you will struggle to find alone time. One of us is almost always here. If not then you will have to join one of us in whatever we are doing. Your sister will also not be your babysitter. Believe it or not, sisters do hangout together, even as adults. I know, shocking, isn't it. You two can catch up or you could even help watch over Jazmin. I'm sure Zahira would appreciate the help. Knowing her, you will also get away with a lot more over there too. I tell you this but you also need to realize being treated as an adult is earned and is not a right. I have no issue taking away the privileges you receive for being an adult if you want to keep acting this way." Mom tells me and I blush slightly, realizing she is right and also from her threat.

I don't want to believe she would actually punish me long term with childish rules but she did just make me use Jazmin's stuff. Would she actually make me use them long term!? I can't risk it! She is also known for seeing the punishments she hands out though until the very end so if she does, I won't have any way out of it but wait for it to be over. I really hope this is the only punishment I receive while I'm here...