Chapter 22

*Grace's P.O.V*

"Grace... Gracie baby... it's time to wake up..." I hear while I'm being lightly shaken.

"Don't wanna..." I mumble, trying to roll away from her reach. It doesn't work though. No matter how far I roll, I'm still being shaken. Stupid tiny bed.

"And where do you think you are going, young lady? I said it's time to get up. You have slept long enough, Grace." Mom says but I don't care how long I've already slept... I'm still sleepy!

"I said don't wanna..." I tell her, throwing the covers over my face, just to get them thrown off me and off the bed.

"I know what you said and I told you that it's time to get up and guess what? My word, not yours, is the final say. So if I tell you it's time to get up, you get up, Grace." Mom says, trying to end this argument.

"... 5 more minutes? Pleasse, mom?" I try to beg, earning a smack to my perfectly positioned butt. I yelped after receiving it but it was more from the surprise of it than the pain. She doesn't need to know that though so I don't try to stop the waterworks from happening.

"Owww... What was that for mommy?" I ask with glittering eyes and a pout.

"Oh... now I'm mommy, huh? Still only when you think it will help you get out of trouble, i see." Mommy says with an eye roll. I want to refute her but the smack did get my brain working again so...

"You also know what it was for and how easy you are getting off. If you don't get your butt out of bed, young lady, there will be a lot more painful ones coming your way. It's time for dinner, I already let you sleep for 3 hours and you aren't missing this meal to extend your nap further... Don't give me that face, Grace. I said no! Fine, I'll just carry you then!" She proclaims as she scoops me into her arms.

I was trying to plead with her to change her mind about getting up with the best puppy dog eyes ever! I mean, there was no way she could resist when it was combined with my still sparkling eyes from her slap and my wobbling bottom lip. I was right that it couldn't be resisted but instead of staying in bed, I'm picked up and plopped onto her hip. Being light sucks! I can't resist her moving me at all!!

"You know, you look cute when you pout... not as cute when you suck your thumb but still cute." Mom says, bopping my nose, making me forget all about my interrupted nap.

"I do not suck my thumb! You take that back!!" I proclaim, almost pushing myself out of her arms before she quickly catches me. It scared me but mommy is still laughing so it mustn't have been too serious.

"Take what back? That you are cute or that you suck your thumb? Because both are very true. You are lucky you are so cute because I would have pulled it out otherwise. It's not very sanitary to have your thumb in your mouth, baby, but the argument about why you now have a pacifier wasn't worth it. Plus, you don't actually have one... yet. Keep it up and you will earn yourself a pacifier though." She tells me, and I hide my now burning face in her neck.

"I don't need a stupid pacifier because I don't suck my thumb, mommy. I'm not a wit... little baby!" I mumble into her, burning even hotter with my lisp of little as I feel mommy trying to hold her laughter in but failing as she rubs my back in a comforting manner.

"Of course, baby. Mommy just forgot how much of a big girl you are. Are you mommy's big girl? Big enough to walk to the kitchen table on their own?" Mommy asks and it's not fair at all! It's a set up!! I am big! But I don't want to be put down, I'm comfy... plus I can nap more in her arms. Repositioning myself in her arms, I remember what I am wearing and a new concern hits me.

"Mommy... can I change first?" I ask, remembering about my... the pullup I am wearing. It is not mine! I'm too old for pullups!

"Are you wet and in need of a change, baby?" Mommy asks and I'm glad my face is already hidden after her question. Moving my hips slightly, I determine I still feel dry since it feels the same. Yes, I had to check. It's not like I know how they are supposed to feel wet and would have been asleep for my accident.

"No... I think I'm dry, mommy." I tell her, finding it better to not be too confident in this situation.

"I agree that you feel dry, baby, so no. You can stay like you are." Mommy tells me as she starts to pat my bottom. It feels comforting but I can't help but remember my smack to the bottom and her threat with the pats. I think hard about what to say next, coming up with nothing good to get me out of this and not get me in further trouble. Eventually mommy just shuts all my hopes out of this situation down anyway.

"Look, baby... our plates are made and are getting cold. Your father is probably already eating. I'm hungry and you need food too. If you are worried about us finding out, get over it. We know and don't care. Your father won't bat an eyelash at your appearance. Remember, you will be in goodnights for at least an hour around him every night... some of that time, it will just be you and him while I get ready for bed. I suggest you treat this like it's not a big deal sooner, rather than later." She tells me, still patting my bottom. I know she is trying to help but all it does is make me want to run and hide as it draws my attention to my extra padding.

"Also, I just finished your laundry... you are welcome, by the way... and I'm not letting you make your mess all over your freshly cleaned clothes so I have to wash it all over again. You are my little messy eater, after all." My mommy continues saying.

Deciding I've been embarrassed enough for one conversation, I decide to keep my mouth shut and get comfortable in her arms. When I find myself wanting to suck my thumb and wondering if I could hide the action from mommy, I have to remind myself I'm not a baby and I do not suck my thumb!

"Oh, you aren't fooling anyone, Grace. If you want it so badly, just suck on your thumb already, ba... Grace. I'm not going to stop you or judge you for it and neither is your father." I hear her say, realizing just now how my thumb is hovering close around my mouth. Now I definitely can't! I will not act like a baby... I will not let her be correct!

"Suit yourself, Grace. I can get you a pacifier instead... if you will feel more comfortable with that... I'll take that as a no. No pacifier for mommy's baby then. Just dinner." Mommy says, sensing my answer from how stiff I got in her arms. I relax knowing I won't be punished... yes, it would be a punishment because I'm too old for a pacifier... no matter how curious I am about trying one...