67. Whispers

Even after just giving birth for the third time to a beautiful little girl, to which they named Alyssa after their mother, Avalon still looked beautiful. Plump breasts loose dresses, her hair ran long down her back no time for braids or updos. She was effortlessly beautiful, the kind of beautiful that made women envious. The kind of beauty that drew all eyes to her when she walked by. She still had her pregnancy glow about her. But Viserys wasnt worried about the way people looked at her with envy or the men with lust and desire.  

Viserys also wasnt worried about cristons crush on avalon. He wasnt worried about the way she leaned in laughing out when they were together. Criston had been a good and loyal protector to his wives over the years and took care of their children as well. Viserys wasnt worried.

With the attack he wanted more guards on his family just in case, better security, they didnt know why someone wanted him dead after all. They reviewed the accounts to see if there was something they missed that they miscalculated perhaps and someone was upset enough to kill but Viserys couldnt find anything. A spiteful group of men his council offered probably took over their fathers grudges. 

Criston reached out a hand cupping Avalons cheek. He stroked his finger over her flawless cheek bone and she stared eyes locked on his.

"Eyelash." He whispered taking far too long to let her go. Avalon didn't pressure him to release her.

"Thank you." She answered when his hand fell to his side. Criston was a handsome man. Sexy really. It must have been the dornish in him.

"Says to be good luck. Make a wish." Criston held out his finger, Avalon thought on that before blowing gently. "You are so beautiful, your grace." Criston blurted out and Avalon blushed tucking her hair behind her ear. 

Being around someone so pure and good, someone that didn't want anything from him and didn't know what to do with a compliment. Surely she had many men chasing after her constantly even though she was the queen, she was too beautiful for men not to make a fool of themselves in front of her. She had three children but she was slim, long legs under thin red dresses, nice curves -Criston had to focus on something else he could practically feel himself drooling.

Avalon smiled down at little Alyssa and she stared up at her with big violet eyes.

"You want to hear a song Alyssa? This is one your daddy sung to me." Avalon whispered. Alyssa blinked back at her.

''I'm a little dragon, strong and stout. Here is my tail and here is my snout. If I get upset, you better watch out! I'll roar, and shout, and stomp about." Avalon sung out. Alyssa giggled into her. "Yeah, thats right, isnt that funny honey?" Avalon cooed.

"Avalon can we speak on a matter thats..."

"Whats wrong?" Avalon questioned moving from Alyssa's crib. 

"Rhaenyra." Alicent answered, Criston looked between them. "Ser Harwin said when the attack happened-"

"Oh Alicent-" Avalon began shaking her head. 

"That they were not near the west end of the castle where Rhaenyra is. She didnt seem phased or concerned, she seemed surprised that..."

"She wouldnt put a hit on us." Avalon corrected. 

"You stated some hard facts and she got mad." Alicent countered. "She thinks the crown is meant to be hers. She said it too-"

"She wouldnt try to kill me. He wanted to kill Viserys too, she loves Viserys."

"Maybe they got greedy and wanted more death. Kill the king and his queen an Rhaenyra would-"

"If I die Aemond is the heir." Avalon corrected. 

"I hate to say it but Avalon can you just consider for a moment that Rhaenyra is not innocent in this?" Alicent begged. 

"I dont want to think her capable of this." Avalon countered. "But I know someone that might know." 

"Who?"

"Hello lord Larys."

"Your grace, what an honor." Larys remarked bowing his head to her. 

"I have come to ask you a favor."

"Anything for my favorite queen."

"I'm sure you say that to both of us." Avalon mused. 

"You got me." Larys teased smiling back at her. "What can i do for you?"

"Have you heard anything about the attack? Who might have ordered it, what their... plan was?" Avalon pondered and larys cleared his throat. "Tell me please, even if its hard to say."

"I heard whispers your grace, nothing concrete." Larys admitted. 

"Go on." Avalon encouraged. 

"The princess Rhaenyra was furious when you brought to light what we all already know-"

"Does everyone know about that?" Avalon murmured. 

"Word travels fast in the capital." Larys agreed. And yet somehow Alicent and Avalon's love affair had remained top secret. 

"Go on, please." Avalon insisted. 

"She was furious, she was saying some awful things about you and... all lies I assure you and most that heard her whine and bitch about such things didnt care but who is to say that a few evil men wouldnt take into account what the princess wanted and hoped to receive compensation for it..." Larys offered. 

"All hearsay." 

"Yes. Of course... nothing... real just speculation and whispers."

"Whispers..." Avalon repeated. "Thank you Lord Larys." 

"If you want me to go digging-"

"If you happen to hear anything that might endanger my family I would love to be kept in the know." 

"I will keep my ear out but I hope you never have to worry of such things." Larys offered kindly. "How are you and babe faring?" 

"Oh Alyssa is perfect. So perfect." Avalon answered smiling again. Rhaenyra couldnt be that awful, it was just some drunk men looking for their moment to shine and get some compensation from Rhaenyra... but could rhaenyra have really wanted her dead?