8. All Losers Here

Metal struck down hard as the contenders were getting violent, lunging from their horses and taking their losses to heart, mutilating their competitors.

'Kill him!'

'And the day grows ugly.'

'I wonder if this is how we should celebrate the birth of our future king.'

' Hm?'

'With wanton violence.'

'Yes it seems silly.' Avalon agreed. 'maybe for the next royal birth we eat cake and get drunk instead.' Avalon suggested and Rhaenyra turned around nodding. 'I got one vote.' Avalon declared with a laugh.

"Me as well." Alicent agreed and Avalon smiled back at her. Alicent spun back around. Why was her smile so perfect? Why was her laugh like a symphony? Why was Alicent feeling what she knew was wrong and unright for the kings little sister of all people.

All of the people to start feeling an irrational flutter why the kings sister? Why Rhaenyras aunt? Why Avalon Targaryen captivated her was just... baffling and wonderful and she knew she should want the feelings to go away but she didnt.

'It's been 70 years since King Maegor's end.' Rhaenys reminded them 'These knights are as green as summer grass. None have known real war. Their lords sent them to the tourney field with fists full of steel and balls full of seed, and we expect them to act with honor and grace. It's a marvel that war didn't break out at first blood.'

'Mellos.' Viserys exclaimed

'Your Grace. If you would.' Mellos said urging the king away from his wife. 'During a difficult birth, it sometimes becomes necessary for the father... to make an impossible choice.'

'Well, speak it.' Viserys said urgently.

'To sacrifice one... or to lose them both. There is a chance that we can save the child. A technique is taught at the Citadel, which involves cutting directly into the womb to free the infant.' Mellos told him and Viserys listened intently. 'But the resulting blood loss...'

'Seven Hells, Mellos.' Viserys muttered he couldn't sacrifice his wife... could he? 'You can save the child?' Viserys questioned.

'We must either act now or leave it with the gods.' Mellos told him

'Ser Criston Cole will now tilt against Ser Daemon Targaryen, Prince of the City!' they declared and the crowd broke out in cheers as the competitors got ready.

'Viserys.' Aemma questioned in a hazy state.

'Yes?' she looked to him confused as they started to hold her down. ''They're going to bring the babe out now.'

'Mm.' she didn't understand.

'I love you.'

'Ooh.' Her moans and screams amplified. 'What is happening?'

'No, it's all right.' Viserys assured

'No... what is happening? Viserys, what...' Aemma struggled under their tight hold.

'No, it's all right.' Viserys assured.

'Wh-what are you doing?'

'They're going to bring the babe out.' Viserys told her again.

'How are they...'

'It's all right.' He kept repeating trying to convince himself the same thing.

'Viserys, please.'

'It's all right.'

'No, I'm scared. Not in...'

'Don't be scared.' Viserys told her.

'What is happening?'

'Don't be scared. They're going to bring the babe out.' He repeated again and again

'Oh no.' she started to scream as they began to cut into her.

'It's all right. They're going to bring the babe out. '

'No! No! No!' Aemma shouted screaming and gripping at Viserys pelading with him but he wouldn't listen.

'I'm making the first incision.'

'No, no, no! Viserys, no! Please! No, no, no!' she screamed and shouted thrashing in their hold.

'Don't be scared.'

+

'Sword!' Daemon demanded.

'Oh Daemon.' Avalon murmured she turned back expecting Viserys to coming back holding up his heir but there was still no sign of him.

'Prince Daemon Targaryen wishes to continue in a contest of arms!' Master of revels declared to the crowd as they started a hand to hand, sword to sword duel. The men grunted as they shuffled around the sandy ground, the crowds cheering echoing with the clattering of their swords.

'Yield. Yield.' Daemon said calmly, he was on his back, Cole's sword pointed down at him but Daemon just chuckled.

'Well, that man has skills. I have never seen Daemon bested so fast.' Avalon remarked softly.

'Gods. He's Dornish.' Daemon chuckled still staring up at him in defeat.

'I was hoping to ask for the Princess's favor.' Cole said coming up to the viewing box, Rhaenyra smiled down at him.

'I wish you luck, Ser Criston.' Rhaenyra said dropping her crown down

'Princess.' He replied with a charming smile.

'I told Daemon not to lose, its going to make me look bad.' Avalon teased and Alicent smiled up at her.

+

'Congratulations, Your Grace. You have a son.' Mellos said as the baby was delivered. The baby started to cry.

'It's a boy?' Viserys said happily

'A new heir, Your Grace.' Mellos confirmed 'Had you and the Queen chosen a name?'

'Baelon.' Viserys said happily but the baby didn't survive.