50. Judgement

'Have you spoken to her?'

'No.'

'It is not in Rhaenyra's nature to be deceitful. I cannot say the same for your brother.' Alicent reminded Viserys

'You believe he lied?'

'How often does he speak the pure truth? How does confessing to such things serve him? By reducing you.'' ALicent agreed.

'Whatever transpired, Rhaenyra is not innocent.' Viserys reminded her

'Only because Daemon tried to corrupt her..."

"What happened?" Avalon questioned. 

"Daemon and Rhaenyra were seen in the bowels of passion, in a pleasure house." Viserys hissed. 

"What?"

"Otto informed me this morning."

"Thats who..." Avalon huffed out a breath. "Daemon, damn him." She grumbled. 

"I handled it." Viserys assured. 

"You handled it? What did I do? SLeep all day?" Avalon questioned looking between them. "I did, didn't I?" Avalon realized. 

"I didnt think to wake you for this, I tired you out last night." Viserys whispered kissing her temple. 

"Dae's gone isnt he?" Avalon realized.

"Yeah, but he will be back, he always comes back." Viserys assured when there was a knock at the door. 

"Dont answer it, its always bad news when there is a knock." Avalon decided.

"Not now." Viserys demanded. 

"What are you going to do?" Avalon questioned. 

"Ignore the door like you suggested." Viserys answered. 

"About Rhaenyra." 

"Jaehaerys would've disinherited you.'

'For a lie?' Rhaenyra countered 'You've yet to ask me for the truth of what happened.'

'The truth does not matter, Rhaenyra. Only perception. You have exposed yourself. Now we must both suffer the consequences.' Viserys told her solemnly.

'Were I born a man, I could bed whomever I wanted. I could father a dozen bastards, and no one in your court would blink an eye.' Rhaenyra countered

'You are right... but you were born a woman.'

'So you'll strip me of my titles. No longer a princess, no longer anything. Just Rhaenyra the failure?' Rhaenyra offered stiffly.

''It is mine to hold the realm together, not sow it with further division. Your courtship is at an end. You will wed Ser Laenor Velaryon, and you will do so without protest. The son of the Sea Snake.'

"Avalon-" Rhaenyra began.

"Avalon is the heir, yes. Corlys is too crown motivated, I think you will do just fine for his son. As for Avalon, I will find her a proper match but right now you are the priority." Viserys demanded.

'So I can be a remedy for your political headaches.' Rhaenyra groaned.

''You are my political headache! Your wedding to Ser Laenor Velaryon will unite the two most powerful houses in the realm. With the combined strength of our shared dragons and naval fleets, no one would dare to stand against us. The House of the Dragon will stand as one for a further generation.' Viserys demanded

'And what will you do about the vulture who perches upon your throne?'

'What vulture?'

'Your Hand.' Rhaenyra informed him

'Otto Hightower has served two kings loyally and faithfully.' Viserys assured but Avalon didn't like him, Avalon made it clear she didn't like him. Alicent wasnt fond of her father either but he had been better seeing as though Alicent was in a better mood and avoiding him while she ran off with Avalon. 

"Avalon doesn't trust him. Trust your sister, I trust Avalon more than anyone and she doesnt like Otto!" Rhaenyra spat.

"She voiced her opinion and... I agree." Viserys said softly but Rhaenyra kept going thinking she needed more of a fight.

'He wants Aegon to be named heir. And he will stop at nothing to see it done. Including spying on me to bring about not only my ruin but all of our ruin. You speak of The Conqueror's vision and the need for strength and unity across the realm. But how can that be accomplished with your most trusted adviser so self-interested?' Rhaenyra demanded. 

''Every lord and lady that calls for an audience with me, every man on my small council, and all councils past, has been self-interested. It is unavoidable.' Viserys informed her

'I disagree. I will do my duty as heir and wed Ser Laenor. But you must first do yours as king.'

+

"I want to be there and see the look on his face." Avalon declared cheerily.

"Avalon love," Viserys chuckled kissing her head.

"I should have told you moons ago." Avalon told him confidently as there was a knock on the door.

'Your Grace.' Otto said looking between them. Otto looked to Avalon she smiled sweetly, her arms crossed over her chest, this was it, bye, bye Otto.

'Five days.' Viserys told Otto

'I'm sorry, Your Grace?' Otto questioned

'Though it was some time ago. The details... they fade in memory. My father was a hale and healthy warrior and dragon rider at the peak of his abilities. Jaehaerys named a great royal hunt to celebrate him being named the Hand of the King. Five days later my... my father lay dead. Tourneys last longer. Baelon the Brave, rider of Vhagar, heir to the Iron Throne... dead of a burst belly. The gods have a dark wit.' Viserys reminded him.

'It was a grim day.' Otto couldn't help but noticed how Avalon smile seemed to twist into a wicked grin.

'I recall it all too well. Yeah... It was a good day for you. Jaehaerys named you Hand in Baelon's stead.' Viserys recalled.

''That's hardly how I viewed it, Your Grace. It was a duty.' Otto assured taking a step closer. Avalon knew there was little love between Alicent and Otto but still knew that making her father leave would hurt her. Avalon wanted to be the one to tell Alicent when it happened. 

'You served my grand sire nobly in his final days. You are the man that taught me how to be King.'

'Oh, you honor me, Your Grace.' Otto said happily but King Viserys sighed.

'Just five days... you went from being another man in Jaehaerys's court, to the second most powerful man in the realm. I wonder... how long did it take you to choose yourself over your King?'

'Your Grace?'

'I will never recover from Aemma's death. But Alicent... She was a calculated distraction. I only now realize how well-calculated it was.' Viserys told him stiffly.

'That is an absurdity. The queen loves you and I know you love her." Otto countered.

"Whats going on?" Rhaenyra questioned. "Where is Avalon?"

"She's with the king." Harwin answered.

"Why? Are they discussing me?" Rhaenyra questioned.

"I dont know." Harwin answered.

"You didnt say anything about last night." Rhaenyra added.

"I dont know what you mean." Harwin answered. "I saw a street rat roaming flee bottom." Harwin added. Rhaenyra gave him a small smile.

'Your interests no longer align with those of the realm. Your judgment has been compromised.' Avalon told him confidently, smugly, victory emanated off of her.

'A loyal Hand must tell his king a discomforting truth from time to time, Your Grace. If he doesn't... he's failed as a servant.'

'You were a faithful servant, Otto. The crown and the realm both owe you a debt that can never be repaid. But I can no longer trust your judgment.'