43. Slumber

Avalon sat legs crossed her head tipped back into the couch face to the sky aegon slumbering in her lap.  Alicent chuckled touching avalons arm before kissing Aegons little head.

"Ali?"

"I will be right back. You rest." Alicent assured.

"My head is pounding. Tell vis to catch the damn thing," avalon grumbled.

"Will do," alicent agreed heading outside.  'Is everything all right, Your Grace?' Alicent questioned coming up to a large and crackling fire where Viserys stood, needing solace. He was so happy the day had started off great. Avalon kissed him good morning and then it was party time but maybe they should have stuck with one party. Party number two was turning out to be a nuisance.

'You know, I... I named her... to protect the realm from Daemon. She was my only child. "The Realm's Delight." I named her out of love because I no longer believed...'

'Believed what, viserys?' Alicent questioned and Viserys sighed. He wished avalon had come to him. He always knew how to open up to her.

'Many in my line have been dragon riders. Very few among us have been dreamers. What is the power of a dragon... next to the power of prophecy.' Viserys told her

'The hour is too late, husband, avalon is tired her head hurts. Aegon needs a rest. Is now the time to be having mental dilemmas?" Alicent pondered.

'Its the best time to have them." Viserys agreed. "When Rhaenyra was a child... I saw it in a dream... as vivid as these flames, I saw it. A male babe born to me... wearing the Conqueror's crown.' Viserys told her confidently. 'And I so wanted it to be true, to be a dreamer myself. I sought that vision again, night after night... but it never came again. I poured all my thought and will into it. And my obsession killed Rhaenyra's mother.'

'Viserys.' Alicent tried to calm him she reached out a hand but he pulled back.

'I thought avalon was the way out of my abyss of grief and regret. And naming her heir would begin to set things right.'

'Oh, it did.' Alicent assured. "Avalon will be wonderful. You know that."

'I never imagined I would remarry... that I would have a son.' Viserys told her his confidence wavering. 'What if I was wrong?' he heard a horn blowing in the distance the beast had been found. He put a hand on her stomach running his hands along her dress. Hoping for another boy, he couldn't handle another girl. Not unless they were perfect like avalon.

+

'He may not be white, Your Grace. But he's a big lad.' Harwin remarked as they got closer to the Hart.

'Your Grace... for the kill'. Jason offered his spear and Viserys took it. The hart bellowed and thrashed in their restraints.

'Right here, Your Grace.' A huntsman remarked showing him where to strike. The hart wailed but didn't fall 'One more time, Your Grace. A little bit to your left.' The huntsman told him so again Viserys struck. The hart shrieked before collapsing to the ground. The hunter applauded their king.

Avalon was less than happy with Rhaenyra.

"You worried me." Avalon barked.

"I was perfectly safe." Rhaenyra countered.

"Says the girl covered in blood!" Avalon spat back.

"Im fine." Rhaenyra assured. "I joined the hunt after all."

"Heavens," avalon muttered as rhaenyra headed off.

The ride home was bumpy and avalon sat with the driver. He steered the horses along as avalons gaze shifted to the horizon. She saw something In the distance and realized what it was. Her eyes went wide at the sight of the hart. White hart.

"Did you see that! Do you see -"

"What princess?" Avalon glanced back but it was gone.

"Never mind trick of the eye no doubt." Avalon offered.

Avalon slumped to her chamber's exhausted. Alicent reached out a hand for her.

"Goodnight, Avalon." Alicent whispered pressing a kiss to her hand. 

"Night honey." Avalon answered. Avalon so rarely slept in her own bed that it felt foreign, the sheets were tucked in tight and avalon had to yank and tug viciously to get into her bed. She dropped down with a heavy sigh before hearing Aegon whining out. 

Alicent was failing at soothing when Avalon got back up. She scooped up Aegon and brought him wordlessly to bed with her. After Alicent checked on Viserys she moved to Avalon's chamber. Aegon snored softly as he curled into Avalon's side thumb in his mouth and opposite hand fisted around the blanket. Alicent sighed moving back to her own bed. She stared up at the ceiling wondering what the hell she was doing.