13. I Promise

Viserys was saying the words but Avalon wasnt processing. Heir. Avalon. Crown.

"Avalon, are you listening?"

"No. I'm not." Avalon corrected. "I'm not listening. I'm not listening. This is all wrong. I'm... no. I'm Avalon. I'm the baby, I can't have this sort of responsibility." Avalon reminded him and Viserys chuckled. 

'Avalon my dearest, when they deemed I needed to name an heir I thought of Rhaenyra but then I thought, I truly thought about what might happen and you said it, you confirmed what I was scared to say."

"I didnt mean to. Ignore me." Avalon offered. 

"I believe in you, Avalon."

"Daemon will hate me forever." Avalon corrected.

"You know he wont. He could never hate you." Viserys corrected. Avalon's heels twisted on the ground. 

'There's something else that I need to tell you. It might be difficult for you to understand, but you must hear it. Our histories... they tell us that Aegon looked across the Blackwater from Dragonstone, and saw a rich land ripe for the capture. But ambition alone is not what drove him to conquest. It was a dream. And just as Daenys foresaw the end of Valyria, Aegon foresaw the end of the world of men.' Viserys told her letting out a long sigh. ''Tis to begin with a terrible winter gusting out of the distant north.'

"What does it mean?" Avalon countered. 

"I hope you never have to find out." Viserys offered. Avalon gave him a pointed look. 'Aegon saw absolute darkness riding on those winds. And whatever dwells within will destroy the world of the living. When this Great Winter comes, Avalon... all of Westeros must stand against it. And if the world of men is to survive, a Targaryen must be seated on the Iron Throne. A king or queen, strong enough to unite the realm against the cold and the dark. Aegon called his dream "The Song of Ice and Fire." This secret... it's been passed from king to heir since Aegon's time. Now you must promise to carry it... and protect it. Promise me this, my dearest Avalon. Promise me.' He brought a hand to her chin and she looked to him meeting his soft gaze.

 'You are my heir Avalon. You were my first real choice." Avalon met his gaze. "I know your heart love. Wild. Free. I know you don't want it but I know... I know it Avalon that are the queen we need." Viserys remarked honestly.

"I promise." 

+

"I look ridiculous." Avalon murmured messing with the crown on her head. "OH! Alicent, help me." Avalon requested and Alicent nodded closing the door behind her. "I'm a mess, I'm supposed to be the heir and I'm a mess."

"You look beautiful." Alicent corrected.

"There is too much, too much, it is very much, muchness!" Avalon declared pulling at the formal gown and golden chains.

"Avalon, stop. You are going to hurt yourself..." Alicent requested stepping closer as she tore at her dress, golden necklaces dropping with a heavy thud.

"What if I'm a failure? What if Viserys it putting his faith in the wrong person? What if I'm-" Avalon was hyperventilating as she tugged uselessly at her crown. "I can't. I just... cant..." Avalon whimpered. "Take this stupid thing-" she tugged at her hair trying to get the crown off. "Alicent, please get it off!" Avalon begged.

"What if I fail? What if I run the kingdoms into the ground?" Avalon whimpered as Alicent ran a calming hand over her back and Alicent felt the shaky rise and fall of her chest with every broken breath. 

"You take all the time you need." Alicent assured. "They will wait for you... and for what its worth, I think you will an amazing queen." Alicent remarked and Avalon smiled back at her. 

"Thank you Alicent." Avalon whispered. Alicent sat Avalon down and untangled the crown from her hair. She stared back at Alicent in the mirror as Alicent brushed out her hair.

"Thank you, Alicent... I went a little coo coo." Avalon whispered grabbing Alicent's hand.

"You always have me." Alicent agreed. 

"Can you help me pick out a new dress?" Avalon questioned and Alicent nodded eagerly. Avalon tugged at her dress, dark and heavy while Alicent peered through her dresses. Alicent glanced back at Avalon and saw her dress shift laying loosely against her. 

"How about this one?" Alicent croaked out, trying to keep her voice even and steady but failing miserably. Avalon touched the fabric.

"Perfect, thank you."

"I could help you... with it." Alicent offered and Avalon nodded giving another tug of her dress and tried not to blatantly stare at her delicate curves, the rise and fall of her breast with every heavy breath, the curve of her ass through lace panties. Avalon was too nervous to notice Alicent's admiration. 

Avalon turned in the mirror, it was a white dress that had so much golden inlay that every step Avalon took she shimmered.

Her fingers reached for the necklace as she made her way down the aisle. She took a deep breath as her gaze shifted around the room. Each step she felt more and more like she was never meant for this. Rhaenyra thought the throne would be hers, Avalon had hoped that Daemon would be here but she couldnt find him in the crown. 

Rhaenyra forced a smile but Avalon could tell that Rhaenyra had hoped, even if just in the back of her mind that she would be heir if not Daemon. Daemon, Gods where was he? Avalon kept thinking. 

Each shimmering step she took she wanted to run away but then she looked to Viserys as he sat on the iron throne. He rose as she got closer.

He looked to the simple braid pulling the hair back from her face, the delicate necklace, the shimmering dress, her heels clicked with every step she took. Alicent smiled back at her from her fathers side and Avalon's gaze shifted offering Alicent a smile and if Otto were paying attention he might have seen his daughter swoon. 

Avalon's hair flowed around her shoulders, her steps were small but when she met Viserys gaze he hoped she saw the overwhelming pride and joy in seeing her accept this. She spun her rings on her fingers needing something to do with her hands, before letting out a deep breath and turning towards the people, her people.

'Corlys of House Velaryon, Lord of the Tides and Master of Driftmark.' Mellos introduced

'I, Corlys Velaryon, Lord of the Tides and Master of Driftmark, promise to be faithful to King Viserys and his named heir, the Princess Avalon. I pledge fealty to them and shall defend them against all enemies in good faith and without deceit. I swear this by the old gods and the new.'

' I, Lord Hobert Hightower, Beacon of the South, Defender of the Citadel, and Voice of Oldtown, promise to be faithful to King Viserys and his named heir, the Princess Avalon. I pledge fealty to them and shall defend them against all enemies in good faith and without deceit. I swear this by the old gods and the new.'

'I, Boremund Baratheon... promise to be faithful to King Viserys...' 

Avalon looked to Alicent and Alicent saw how nervous Avalon was, but Alicent seemed to know what to do. Alicent took a deep breath and Avalon mimicked her. Avalon smiled as she released her breath. Avalon could do this, it wouldn't be for years, many years anyway.

'I, Rickard Stark, Lord of Winterfell...'

"Hi Rickard." Avalon declared. 

"Hello princess." Rickard chuckled out. 

"Oh, I'm sorry." Avalon whispered awkwardly. "Old friend." She murmured and Rickard chuckled looking to Viserys before he finished his speech, his vows to Avalon. 

' I, Viserys Targaryen, first of his name... King of the Andals, and the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm, do hereby name... Avalon Rose Targaryen Princess of Dragonstone and heir to the Iron Throne.'