Chapter 42

Eir made you stay in Asgard to make sure you were definitely getting better. She did not want to send you back to Midgard only for you to relapse. Everyday Loki noticed your smile getting wider and the light returning to your eyes. You had started eating again, only small meals, but it made Loki happy. Maybe you would be alright.

One day you turned around to Loki and asked him to take you back to the glade, which he happily agreed to.

After breakfast one morning you both made your way towards the stables and headed there through the city. It was a busy day and you should have asked Loki to go another way. You were feeling fine until you spotted a baby about Narfi's age and you could feel the tears in your eyes before you were able to look away, the hurt still a deep claw upon your heart. In the end you had just closed your eyes and quietly asked Loki to tell you when you were out in the fields. He didn't need to ask why, he felt one of your tears that fell and tightened his arm around your waist.

You opened your eyes when he whispered that you were past the city thankfully to be met with nothing but meadows and the forest looming dark in the distance. Winter was still trying to hold on as frost could still be seen simmering in the grass.

The grass gave way to the trees and you tried to relax as you made your way there. This was your idea after all.The stag joined you about halfway there and seemed excited, as much as you could tell for an animal, that you acknowledged him this time. Loki just rolled his eyes but kept silent.

Loki let you walk on ahead as he stood at the edge of the clearing checking in the horse, before removing the bit to let him roam while you were here. The stag had walked up to him and nudged his arm only to receive an annoyed "Hey!" as Loki brushed the spot. The stag just grunted and walked towards where standing at the edge of the water staring into the distance. After a moment you reached up to absentmindedly pet him.

Loki could not understand the creature's obsession with you. As he stood and watched the both of you it was moments like this that made him question who you were, it was like you belonged to the Lord of the Forest himself. Your light giggle distracted him from his thoughts, having to do a double take and rub his eyes when he swore he saw a person standing next to you instead. 'Grief is making me crazy,' he thought.

"Stupid question," you asked when Loki came to stand beside you, "are there any limitations to your magic?"

"Necromancy."

"Yeah I kinda guessed that...it's impossible to bring people back from the dead." Loki just raised an eyebrow at what you said, but didn't push it. "Can I have some bulbs? And a trowel? Please."

Loki fought the urge to see what you were thinking. You had been having better days, yet you still had moments like this where you were distant, your body was here but your mind elsewhere. The memory of last week still haunted his thoughts, he'd stupidly left a dagger where you could reach...never had he been more thankful that you could heal yourself. The scar had yet to disappear, no doubt from the lack of food over the last year and you refused to let him heal it.

"What flowers?"

"Gladiolus."

"Are you sure you want to plant them here? Wouldn't the palace gardens be a better option? Or our balcony?"

"Yes. I can't think of anywhere better," you turned to smile at Loki, trying your hardest to keep the sadness out of your voice. "This is the place where we can just be. Our spot. And we...we can't bring him to enjoy it with us like we can with our other children so I want something of him, here."

- - - -

You had shocked Loki when you rolled over one night a few months later and touched him.

"Darling as nice as this feels, you need not rush yourself. You're still healing."