Chapter 39

It was late. Very late. Yet you found yourself wandering the halls hoping it would get rid of the restless energy you had. Eir had placed you on almost bed rest after you had fainted again. Ok it was actual bed rest. It had been three days and you were already over being pregnant.

The emptiness of the halls was punctuated by your footsteps as you tried to decide where you wanted to go. The few guards that you passed tried to not stare as you walked past them clad only in your nightgown and robe. The torchlight flickering in your wake.

"This is madness!" Loki exclaimed in a whisper as he followed you through the halls, trying to work out where you were heading.

"I didn't ask you to come with me, you could have stayed in bed." Turning to head towards the gardens hoping some fresh air would help.

"And have you wander about the palace late at night by yourself? What if you collapse again? Eir would have my head!" Loki rolled his eyes when he realised where you were going. "She is already going to be annoyed that you are even out of bed."

"I haven't in days. Plus I'm feeling restless and can't sleep hence the walk."

"You are a stubborn infuriating woman, you know that," Loki stated in loving exasperation.

"I am not!" You exclaimed with annoyance, stopping and turning to face him.

"Need I remind you of a certain hunt someone was adamant on attending and then proceeded to have arrows shot at them when I had warned them of such an occurrence."

"That was different. I was trying to prove a point that you don't get to control me or dictate how I live my life. It was bad enough finding out women have no say over their lives here." Remembering when Thor told you, you need his permission to even get married. "Right now I am trying to go to the gardens."

"I know I can't control you nor do I plan to; but please come back to bed darling, you should be resting."

"I have done nothing but rest! I think I will go mad with boredom," you cried in frustration.

"If I can convince Eir to let you have more freedom will you come back to bed?"

You looked at him silently, while a walk might make you tired the prospect of being allowed off bed rest was tempting. Loki knew you were contemplating it and he smirked. "Fine," you said as you turned back towards your rooms.

— — — —

Loki had managed to convince Eir to allow you off bed rest.

"If I allow this," Eir spoke as she paced in front of you. "Then there are rules you must follow or I will make Loki tie you to the bed so you can't get up."

You glanced towards Loki who was smirking at what Eir had said, you nudged him with your foot and gave him a frown. This was not the time.

"You must be around Loki at all times, if not him than someone you both trust who can bring you to me straight away if you do happen to collapse."

"Sif," you said nodding at the same time Loki said, "Fandral." Which made you do a double take that he was willing to trust him with you.

"No strenuous activity," Eir continued. "You can walk around, but no running, no training, and definitely no sex!" She shot Loki a look. "I know what you both got up to in the library the other week; don't look at me like that Loki, that is probably why she collapsed later that day."

"This is embarrassing," you muttered.

"Do I make myself clear?" Eir looked at you both sternly.

It was basically 'bed rest' with a very long leash.