Chapter 22

You stood outside the bifrost chamber at the edge of the rainbow bridge looking back towards Asgard and Valaskjalf as they glinted under the setting sun. The last time you had stood in the same spot was when you had arrived here. Now it was to say goodbye, possibly for forever. Taking a shuddering breath in you tried to stop the tears you felt welling in your eyes from falling. So much had happened in the years you had been here and right now you wondered if you had died when the bifrost exploded and all that had passed was some dying dream in your final moments.

The cool hand on your shoulder told you that this was in fact real and you were leaving the one place you had finally felt at home in. You know Loki was taking one final look as well as he stood next to you. Who would have thought that after everything you would both be leaving together. If given the choice you know he would pick the dungeons if only so his children could see the glory of Asgard for themselves. His home.

Your children would never know Asgard.

You would never sit in the gardens again listening to the baby birds as they learnt to chirp and fly.

You would never read the books in the library again.

You would never explore the meadows and forests beyond the palace.

You would never sit in the hall for dinner listening to Áedán tell you about all the amazing things he had learnt that day, or what his friends were doing.

You would never see your friends again.

Feeling Loki squeeze your shoulder in comfort and move you to look away from Asgard you looked into the face of one of the first friends you had made here, Fandral. Letting you go Loki let you run into his arms as you both held each other tightly finally letting your tears fall. You would miss him.

"We will see each other again some day my sweet girl." A sadness filled his tone as he moved to give you a chaste kiss on your forehead.

"I hope so," you managed to sob out through your tears.

Reluctantly letting you go he turned to say goodbye to Loki. As they talked you turned your face to try and get one last glimpse. You knew Frigga would be standing on a balcony looking towards here to watch you both leave. As part of your banishment and Loki's punishment she was forbidden from seeing him one last time. You know it angered Loki but he tried not to let it show.

Feeling Loki take your hand you gripped it tightly and turned away to face Heimdall. A solemn expression on his face as he nodded at you both. Feeling Loki move to wrap an arm around your middle you watched as the sword turned and opened the bifrost sending you both away.

- - - -

Standing on the top of Avengers Tower you both just held each other in silence as the sun set sending orange and red streaks across the sky as it settled below the horizon. Looking up you could see the purple and dark blue of the night sky as it slowly crept over. No stars could be seen here, the light pollution too much to let them shine through. You would never again see Asgard's starry sky. Sighing you turned your head to look up at Loki to find he had been looking at you.

"I love you." His voice soft against the silence around you.

"I love you too."

He bent his head to press his lips against yours. You took the comfort it gave you and allowed it to fill you. You would both be alright. You knew it.

"Let us get our children and..." You watched him trail off thinking.

"And get a decent sleep tonight. We will worry about the future tomorrow. For now let us just be."

"Ok my love." He let you go and grabbed your hand.

Heading inside to find where your children were. For once Loki used the stairs, clearly needing the monotony of the movement to quiet his mind.

Finding your children still in the living area where you had left them that morning you both did your best to keep the sadness out of your voices and faces and tried to let their happiness infect you. Dinner was a sombre affair that evening Tony had tried asking what happened but you kept telling him later. Thor and Sif had not come with you, you doubted they would come back at all and they had not been there to see either of you off. Another of Odin's punishments most likely.

Once the children were asleep you both walked back out to the living area hand in hand to find Tony, Steve and Nat waiting for the both of you. Bruce was occupied elsewhere and Clint was still at his home with his family.

"Sit you two." Tony gestured towards one of the couches.

You both sat and Loki looked at Tony while you just looked at your hands.

"What happened?" Nat asked.

"We...uh, we are..." You trialled off, not sure how to word that you were now expected to remain here.

Loki noticed your hesitation and glanced at you seeing a tear fall as your bottom lip quivered. Looking back towards Stark he licked his lips unsure how he would take the news. "We are exiled from Asgard and are to spend the rest of our days here on Midgard."

You just sat there nodding.

"Tomorrow we will take our children and leave to find...somewhere."

The three of them looked at you both in shock. They had not expected a lifetime banishment. Steve and Tony looked at each having a silent conversation before Tony said something you had not expected him to ever say.

"Right. Since I am now stuck with the both of you and your hellions I will talk to Fury in the morning and see if he is willing to let you work for him Loki and I will find a bigger place for you all. You can't sleep in that tiny room forever."

"What?" you started to say before Loki interrupted.

"Stark, I am not working for your band of heroes," he gritted out. You put your hand on Loki's arm making him quickly glance at you. This would give you both time to work out what to do next. Loki read your thoughts and sighed, "We will entertain the idea." Loki clenched his jaw trying his best to remain civil.

"Good. Now you two bed time." Tony grinned.

"We are not children, Stark," Loki said, annoyed.

"No, but you both had a long day and some sleep will do you both some good. Lord knows she's cranky with little sleep," he said pointing towards you.

"Hey! I am not that bad."

- - - -

Waking one morning a few days later you found a letter on the bedside table addressed to you. It hadn't come from anywhere on Earth and you knew who that seal belonged to, but you had no idea how it even got here. Opening it you read the contents before frowning and rereading it again to make sure you had got it right. Loki woke and saw you frowning at the letter. He recognised the seal on the back too.

"Let me see." He took it off of you and skimmed over it. A proud smile filling his face, he folded it and handed it back to you. "Well my queen it seems you have made your first alliance."

"What do you mean?"

"Njörðr has pledged that he and his kingdom will stand on your side should Surtr attack."