Chapter Sixty-Five: Unlikely Bond

Y/N and Rodrick woke up to a pounding on their door.

"Wake up," Lexi's muffled voice said. "We're going to the airport right away."

Rodrick groaned and snuggled into Y/N. She patted his shoulder before moving to sit up. He kept her in place. "Stay," he mumbled.

She smiled and ran her fingers through his hair. "We can't. We'll miss the plane," she told him.

"It's too early," he grumbled.

She gently pried his arms away from her and turned on the lights. Rodrick his his face in the pillows as Y/N went into the bathroom to get ready.

When she came back, Rodrick was surprisingly up and changed into new clothes. He walked into the bathroom to brush his teeth.

As Rodrick was in the bathroom, Y/N double-checked to make sure everything was in her suitcase before she zipped it up and walked over to the door.

Rodrick put his toothbrush and toothpaste away in his bag before following Y/N out of the room.

"Too early," Rodrick mumbled. He looked down at his digital watch. "Way too early."

Y/N patted his arm and they continued their way down the hall before getting into the elevator.

While they stood in the elevator, Rodrick rested his head against Y/N's and closed his eyes.

"Rodrick—"

"Shh," he whispered.

"You can't sleep in the elevator," she told him.

"Not sleeping. Just... resting my eyes," he mumbled. Y/N smiled and shook her head.

Seconds later, the elevator door opened and Y/N had to drag Rodrick out into the lobby.

They met their crowd of classmates in the lobby, all waiting for instructions from their teachers.

"You may be wondering why we needed you awake so early and that's because the flight from here to Transylvania is long," their teacher told them. "I doubt we'll be able to do anything on our first day there but an abundance of activities are planned for the following days."

With a few more words from their teacher, they handed in their key cards and went out into their shuttle.

As soon as Rodrick sat down, he leaned his head on Y/N's shoulder and closed his eyes. Y/N placed her hand on his and he immediately took it, interlocking his fingers with hers.

When they arrived at the airport, Y/N had to wake Rodrick up. He was reluctant at first but quickly complied when Y/N told he could sleep on the plane.

Everyone hopped out of the shuttle and grabbed their bags before going through security.

Then, they all sat down in their correct gate and waited. Rodrick rested all his weight on Y/N and took a nap.

As Rodrick slept, Y/N pulled out her phone and started to message her mother.

Y/N: Hi, Mom, we're about to get on the plane to take us to Transylvania
Mama🫶: That's good. Lee and I are about to go to sleep lol.
Y/N: That's what Rodrick is doing lol
Mama🫶: Lol
Mama🫶: Lee misses you two
Y/N: We miss her too
Mama🫶: I'm going to sleep now, Y/N. Love and miss you guys. Have a safe flight💕
Y/N: Goodnight, Mom. Love you too

Then, she shut off her phone and rested her head on top of Rodrick's.

Her eyes wandered around. She saw Ben and Barry leaning against each other, deep in sleep. Lexi was on her phone, sitting beside Ben, her eyelids drooping. As she continued to let her gaze roam free, she saw Heather and Brad, sitting beside each other. Brad had one hand on her leg, the other holding up his phone. Heather stared blankly at the floor looking as though she didn't want to be anywhere near Brad but couldn't say anything about it.