Chapter 34: High on Food!

"Minato, have you smelled anything?" Kushina, who was preparing the meal, suddenly caught a very enticing aroma.

"I have, a very tempting fried scent," Minato nodded.

"Yeah, such a tempting fragrance. I wonder how it's made," Kushina sniffed the air, unable to contain her curiosity.

She also cooked and had made tempura, fried dishes like that, but she had never experienced this kind of alluring fragrance. Just by smelling the aroma, one could imagine the food's perfect golden and crispy state.

"No, I can't resist. I need to go check it out," Kushina said as she walked out.

Carefully sniffing the air, she discovered that the source of the fragrance was the house to the right of Minato's.

"Hey, isn't this Yumi's house? Minato, come out quickly!" Kushina waved to Minato inside the house.

If she remembered correctly, this house belonged to the ninja school sensei Mutsuki Yumi. Though they had only known each other for a few days, Mutsuki had left a quite deep impression on Kushina.

With golden hair and blue eyes similar to Minato's, Mutsuki was eloquent, and his teaching abilities were strong. Minato walked out and, looking in the direction Kushina pointed, nodded, saying, "Yes, it's Yumi's house."

"Come on, let's pay a visit to our neighbor," Kushina said, pulling Minato as they knocked on Mutsuki's door.

Mutsuki placed the shrimp in a bowl, set down the chopsticks, and walked to the door, opening it as soon as Kushina knocked.

As soon as the door opened, Kushina couldn't wait to ask, "Yumi, are you making dinner?"

"Sorry for the disturbance," Minato, looking apologetic, said while glancing at the apron Mutsuki hadn't taken off yet.

"No problem, I've just finished cooking and was about to eat. Your timing is perfect," Mutsuki said with a gentle smile, then invited the two inside.

Following the fragrance, Kushina walked to the dining table and saw the tempura in the dish, lightly golden from frying. Her eyes lit up instantly; this was the aroma she had been following.

However, upon entering Mutsuki's house, Kushina discovered another scent of fried rice.

"Yumi, you're truly a hidden chef. I could smell the fragrance of this tempura even next door," Kushina praised.

"It's not much of being a chef. Since I'm usually alone, I've gotten used to cooking," Mutsuki said, taking two glasses from the cupboard and pouring water for Minato and Kushina.

"You can give it a try; it's just made," Mutsuki said, taking out two sets of utensils.

"Is it okay? I see you haven't eaten yet," Kushina said, staring at the tempura.

She really wanted to taste what that fragrant tempura would be like.

"Let's start eating now," Mutsuki smiled, picking up a piece of tempura from the bowl and putting it in his mouth.

"Thank you, Yumi," Minato expressed his gratitude.

"I'm starting," Kushina said, bringing her hands together in a ceremonial manner. She then picked up the chopsticks, capturing a piece of still-steaming tempura and placing it in her mouth.

"Mmm!" As she bit through the crispy outer layer, the moist and tender shrimp inside instantly widened Kushina's eyes.

Even more magically, Kushina seemed to have entered the depths of the ocean in a trance. Surrounded by a mysterious and beautiful blue world, she felt like a carefree fish, happily swimming in the sea.