019 - Consumed In A Burning World

019

— consumed in a burning world —

June 30, 2:56 pm

IF ANYONE LOOKED AT THE GIRL, THEY WOULD SAY IT WAS A SCENE FROM A HORROR MOVIE. Hazel's eyes were diluted, completely and utterly focussed on the wall in front of her, she sat cross legged on the ground, her hands perched in her lap, her eyes had sunken, and her skin had paled.

A doctor watched over her, scrawling in a notebook, watching for any movement. His gaze only moved when the heavy sound of boots stalked closer. "Uh, Mr Tarves, Miss Graves," A doctor nodded as the pair walked to him.

Mercy looked over the girl, smiling to herself. "What is she seeing?" Mercy questioned.

"We have amplified moments in her mind, the points where she's most vulnerable and intensified all her emotions," The doctor explained. "She's not seeing any one particular thing."

"She's being overwhelmed by her own emotions," Micheal explained to Mercy.

"And her resurrections?" Mercy questioned.

"Oh, uh, Miss Lillis has died seventy-three times, we have her resurrection time down to fifty-seven seconds," The doctor explained, displaying the files. "The past several times we have not been able to lower the time."

Mercy turned to Micheal, and he shrugged. "Very well. How close are we?" Mercy pulled up another set of files that watched Hazel's brain activity.

"We have nearly driven her insane," The doctor replied with pride.

"What's stopping us from assessing her brain functions?" Mercy questioned.

"Nothing, we can get into her brain, but she heals by the time we get someone in to test."

"So try again."

"It's a problem of brain functions. Her body just heals too fast."

"Show her Mr Logan," Micheal suggested, opening a packet salad. Mercy turned to him, and he shrugged. "Give her that little extra push, while she's delirious, re scramble her brain to listen to me."

The doctor looked at Mercy, questioning her. Mercy smiled, "Show her Mr Logan."

The wildfire clawed at the building's walls with an insatiable hunger, each flicker of flame growing darker as it raced along the walls. The fire's tendrils turned upward, dancing with malevolent glee as they scaled the walls, leaving behind a trail of destruction. The walls of the tower, once a fortress for the Titans, succumbed to Hazel's light as she set the tower ablaze.

Hazel stood in the centre of it all, the red and orange inferno lighting her like a villain in an old superhero movie, consumed in fire as the world burned around her. She stared out at nothing, her gaze unmoving as the horrid wildfire tore into her vision, but she stood still.