017 - Family By Blood Or Choice

017

— family by blood or choice —

THE ROOM WAS BRIGHT, ONE STARK WHITE WALL THE REST MADE OF GLASS, BUT IT FELT LIKE THE WALLS WERE CLOSING IN ON HER. Hazel sat crossed legged on a white couch, alternating between observing everyone that passed by and starring at the camera in the corner of the cramped room. Hazel cracked her neck to the side, the heavy power-dampening collar pulling at her muscles, its patchy grey colour matching the tight suit she was forced into.

The glass door to the left opened, the woman, Mercy Graves motioning toward the man in a fitted grey suit. He was slightly taller than Conner, easily taller than Hazel, and his hair had been shaved down to a buzzcut. Once the man stepped in, the door closed with the faint click of the lock echoing through the room. The man walked to the single seater chair adjacent from Hazel. He set a manila folder on the small coffee table between them, fixed his tie once more before turning to Hazel with a smile.

"Miss Lillis-"

"Please do not call me that," Hazel snapped, crossing her arms.

The man nodded and raised his hands in defence, a small soft smile on his face. "My apologies, Hazel. My name is Micheal Tarves, I am a researcher and Doctor here at CADMUS Labs. Can I get you anything? Tea? Coffee?" The man offered.

"Where is Gar?" Hazel questioned.

The man paused for a moment before nodding in realisation, "Ah, yes, Mr Logan," The man nodded. "He is comfortable and completely safe. As are you."

Hazel chuckled softly, shaking her head. "Comfortable is a stretch."

"Miss Hazel-"

"What do you want?" Hazel snapped, uncrossing her arms and legs, leaning forward. She stared at the man, her intense eyes staring down the man, "You can't fix what you didn't make."

Micheal nodded and tapped his fingers against his knee. "Seventeen." Hazel furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "You've killed seventeen people and brought harm onto so many more."

"How do you-?"

"It's my job to know things, Miss Hazel," Micheal said. He grabbed the manila folder and flipped through it, his eyes skimming over the documents inside. "Your father left when you were three, your mother worked three jobs, so you spent a lot of time at your grandmothers, Lucia Lillis, she's the reason you know Spanish. Once you got into high school, you did the high school thing; underage drinking, drugs, damage to public property... Arrested three times. You lived fairly comfortably until your mother was attacked four months ago. You've been mostly off the grid since. Yes?"

Hazel stared for a moment before forcing her tense muscles to loosen as she gave a soft shrug. "So, you googled my name and paid attention to the news," Hazel scoffed and leant back in the chair. "Congratulations. I'll give you a medal."