002 - Somewhere In Between

002

— somewhere in between —

THE STREET LAMPS FLASHED PAST THEM, THE RAIN ON THE WINDSHIELD BLURRING THE LIGHTS. The woman tapped her fingers against the steering wheel, her golden rings bouncing light. Hazel shifted in her seat and glanced at her. "Who are you?" Hazel questioned, keeping her voice low.

"You can call me Kory," The woman answered, reaching into her purse.

"What do you want from me?" Kory didn't answer her, instead, she pulled her hand back, passing Hazel a notebook, the edges burnt slightly. "What's this?"

Hazel flipped the notebook open, different photos of Hazel were cut out from the yearbook and some printed, the colour draining and stuck to the pages. "That's you. Isn't it?" Kory questioned, looking down at Hazel. Hazel flipped through the pages, skimming over the writing. "Do you know Rachel Roth?"

"Do you know where she is?"

Kory sighed through her nose, "That's what we're gonna find out."

March 6th

THEY COULD HEAR THE ECHO OF THE RAIN HIT THE ROOF OF THE CAR. It was dark and both sat in silence, Kory twirling a curl of her hair, Hazel reading through the notebook. "Interesting?" Kory asked, looking down at Hazel.

"I don't know, do you read..." Hazel held the book up to Kory, displaying the mess of triangle-like, sharp, ink-splattered letters, "Whatever the fuck this is?"

Kory took the notebook, flipping through a dozen pages. "Yeah, it looks like... bullshit," Kory joked making Hazel laugh. Kory closed the notebook and tossed it onto the dash. "Look."

Kory pointed ahead to the back door of the building. A woman in a long white pencil skirt and a man in a bomber jacket and plaid shirt dragged Rachel out by her arms, a girl with ginger hair and a thin brunette boy followed them closely, opening the doors of the silver car to push Rachel inside.

"Rachel," Hazel muttered. She reached for her seatbelt but Kory grabbed her hand, stopping her movements. "What're-"

"They have her, which means they're prepared for an attack," Kory reasoned. Hazel sighed and let go of the seatbelt and Kory released her hand. "We have no idea what they are capable of, but they're dangerous." Kory turned her head back to the car, watching it drive from the alley. Kory waited a moment before following the car.