013 - Fire, Crier, Dick's A Liar

013

— fire, crier, dick's a liar —

WIND BLEW THROUGH THE TUNNELS, RATTLING THE CHAINS LINING THE WALLS. Hazel forced herself to keep walking, her bones still sore and blood dripping from her shirt. The rocks under her feet slipped and Hazel fell forward onto her knees, scrapping her palms and jeans. She had gone back to grab her jacket and phone, and it was the only thing saving her elbows from the glass on the floor. Hazel sat up on her knees, taking notice of the dozens of cells that matched the one she was forced into, each sealed by a key lock with someone inside.

She forced herself up and stumbled to the end of the hall, two large metal doors on both sides of the hall. One was at the top of a small staircase and the second was like all the other doors, but instead of a key lock was large iron plating. "Please," A weak voice called from the other side. "I can hear you. Please help me."

Hazel turned to the iron door and pressed her hands against it, vines sprouting from her arms and weaving around the door. Hazel pulled her arms back, ripping the iron door open. A woman sat on the floor, a thick rusted chain connecting a collar around her neck to the floor, her arms pinned to her side, trapped in a straight jacket.

"Hazel!" Rachel's voice echoed through the halls.

"Fuck," Hazel raced to the woman, tearing the back of the straight jacket open, freeing her arms. Hazel weaved more vines around the bottom of the chain, tearing it from the floor.

"Haze!" Gar echoed.

"If you go down the far hall, there's a back entrance," Hazel said in a rush. Hazel groaned as she pushed herself off her knees, and onto her unsteady feet.

"Wait, girl," The woman called. She reached under the straight jacket and pulled out a badge of a random guard. "I took it to get out, but it couldn't get me out."

Hazel took the badge. "Thank you." Hazel ran to the top of the stairs, scanning the badge and it opened with a beep. Hazel pushed the door open before looking back at the woman. She tossed the badge down the stairs before slipping into the hall, the door closing behind her immediately.

Hazel fell against the wall, taking a deep breath. She stumbled out of the hall, holding her side tight in her hand, her fingers still working to piece the skin back together.

"Rachel! Gar!" Hazel screamed, her throat raw. Hazel's hand slipped from the wall, and she fell to her knees.

"Hazel!" Rachel screeched. Rachel ran to her, dropping to her knees and pulling Hazel into a tight hug.

Hazel winced as Rachel's arms dug into her side. "Ow! Rache!" Rachel quickly let go, pulling back Hazel's coat. "I got shot," Hazel whispered.

"Can you walk?" Kory asked as she and Rachel helped her to her feet.