015 - What The Eyes Don't See

015

— what the eyes don't see —

THEY REACHED KILLDEER OHIO BY EARLY MORNING. Kory parked the car in front of the old cottage house. Vines had taken over the exterior, the white paint was fading and cracking, and the garden and wilted and died. The group jumped from the car, looking over the cottage house and surrounding land. "Cool," Gar commented.

"It's a bit drab," Hazel mumbled as they walked up the stairs, observing the dead vines. Hazel waved her hands along the banisters and the vines slowly grew back to life stretching across the garden and up the sides of the house.

Gar walked ahead and peeked through the window. Angela grabbed a key from the pot plant, spinning it between her fingers before walking to the door. She slid the key into the lock and looked over her shoulder at Rachel. "Come on," Angela encouraged softly, pushing the door open. Gar smiled and he and Hazel stepped inside the cozy house.

The furniture was covered in white sheets, protecting it all from the dust and cobwebs. Hazel walked around, dragging her nails over the top of the banister separating the lounge room from the kitchen. "It's cute," Hazel commented and Angela smiled.

Kory and Rachel walked in, Rachel dropping her bag by the doorway. "I wanna um try something," Rachel stammered, rubbing her hands together. "I think I might be able to get Kory's memories back."

Gar glanced at Hazel who looked just as unsure. "Is that safe?" Gar questioned, dropping his bag next to Rachel's.

"It's worth a shot," Kory shrugged.

They walked over to the couch and Rachel sat on the small coffee table, Kory sitting across from her, careful of the white sheet covering the couch. Gar shuffled closer to Hazel who was leaning against the banister, nervously sliding the charm on her necklace.

Kory looked up at Rachel. "Do you have any idea what you're doing?" Kory asked nervously.

"None," Rachel answered.

"Okay," Kory chuckled lightly and nodded. "Yeah, let's give it a try."

"You can't do this, can you?" Gar asked, leaning towards Hazel more as they watched Rachel rub her hands over her legs.

Hazel shook her head softly, "I can heal up to a day or two. No brain magic... I think," Hazel mumbled the last part to herself.

Rachel reached out but quickly pulled her hand back. "And if anything starts to hurt, let me know," Rachel advised and Kory mumbled a small 'okay'. Rachel reached out, her hands pressing against Kory's temples. Rachel closed her eyes and Angela looked back at Gar and Hazel who gave swift nods or smiles. "Do you feel anything?" Rachel asked.