016 - Actions Have Consequences

016

— actions have consequences —

March 28, 2019

HAZEL SHIFTED BENEATH THE QUILT, THE WEIGHTED BLANKET WRAPPING TIGHTER AROUND HER. She pushed herself to sit on the edge of the bed, her eyes focussing on Gar's neon lights and posters. She looked over the room, seeing no sign of the green haired boy. Hazel stood and walked down the hall, pulling Gar's green jacket tight around her shoulders. Gar was hunched over at the kitchen island, his computer open, the news report on yesterday's events playing loud and clear.

"Gar?" Hazel called, her voice still thick with sleep. He lifted his head, turning to Hazel barely offering her a smile before his head turned back to the computer. "How long have you been watching that?" Hazel asked, walking past him and squeezing his shoulder softly. "Morning, by the way."

"Morning," Gar mumbled, his focus still on the computer.

"Witnesses say that the young man was immune to police gunfire," The reporter relayed, her voice loud over the video recording of Conner and the police. "San Francisco PD has issued a $50,000 reward for information leading to his arrest-"

Hazel reached over and pushed the laptop closed. Gar looked up at her, his tired eyes meeting Hazel's. She sighed softly, tapping her fingers against the laptop. "Stop watching it," Hazel insisted, keeping her voice low.

"I'm calling Dick again," Gar announced, grabbing his phone and immediately punching in Dick's number. Gar paced slightly. "Voice message," Gar said, looking up at Hazel. "Dick, it's me again. I- I know I screwed things up really bad, man, but... And I get why maybe you don't want to talk to me. But please, call me back."

Gar sighed and locked his phone, tossing it on the counter. Hazel's eyes dropped, her stomach twisting in knots. "He'll answer," Hazel assured after a beat of silence.

"How do you know that?" Gar asked, shoving his hands in his pockets. Hazel tapped her knuckles against the countertop, uneasy rushing over her. Gar sat in the stool again, tapping his fingers in time with her. "What happened last night?"

"Um..." Hazel chewed on her lip, giving Gar a small shrug. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have-"

"Haze," Gar said quickly. "You're apologising again."

Hazel hung her head and huffed. "It was a nightmare. I didn't handle it very well." Hazel shook her head and shrugged softly. "Thank you for letting me stay."

"I'm sorry I wasn't better at helping you last night," Gar said, a sad turn in his lips.

"You did though. It helps, knowing that I'm not alone," Hazel said with a shrug.