009 - The Burn, The Blood, The Broken

009

— the burn, the blood, the broken —

THE STREETS WERE COVERED IN A HEAVY FOG, THE LIGHTS BLURRED JUST AS THE MOON WAS COVERED BY HEAVY CLOUDS. The streets were alive, alive in the sense that every few streets someone was doing something illegal, hiding in the shadows and the darkness. "Do you have a place to start with?" Komand'r questioned as they walked through one of the rockier parts of Gotham.

"Cole messaged about a bar called Zion," Hazel answered, looking at Komand'r who walked beside her, "Busted for a mob meeting a few months back, but it re-opened a little too fast afterwards."

They reached a sleek black bar front, gold lining the plating around the doors. "ID please," The bouncer ordered, looking down at Hazel. Hazel looked at the burly man, her eyes glowing a bright gold. He stammered and took a small step back, "Uh, never mind."

He pushed the door open, and Hazel nodded for Komand'r to follow her. They stepped inside, joining another dozen patrons sitting at the tables, another ten crowding the bar with a couple moving around the room. The room was consumed by the smell of cigarettes, men freely smoking in the back of the room. The bright blue neon sign hung behind the bar, displaying the business name and soaking everything in a washed out a blue light.

Hazel and Blackfire walked to the bar counter and sat on the stools, a taller man with a twirled moustache and arm tattoos walking toward them. "Two rum and cokes. Start a tab," Hazel ordered. The bartender nodded and quickly started making their drinks. "You like rum don't you?"

"I think," Komand'r said, shrugging. The bartender set the drinks down, Hazel offering him a smile as she took the detailed glass. Blackfire sipped on the drink, tutting as she lulled over the taste as Hazel's eyes wandered over the bar, looking over the different patrons. "How do you plan on doing this?" she asked, looking at Hazel from the corner of her eye.

Hazel sipped on the alcohol and looked up at Komand'r. "Koriand'r and Super-Boy could have watched you, they could have left you at the Manor with the boys, but Kory got me to watch you. Do you know why?" Hazel caught the sight of a tattoo on the side of a man's neck, and she picked up the drink.

Blackfire paused, "I don't know."

"Because Kory trusts me, she thinks I'll look out for you, keep you in check," Hazel muttered, she set her glass down and nodded for another. "But right now, I'm gonna go beat the shit out of that guy there." The bartender set down a second drink and Hazel smiled at Komand'r. "Feel free to blow off some steam."

Blackfire watched her closely as Hazel walked to the table of seven men, covered in leather and tattoo's, the tallest, scruffiest man with a very prominent red scorpion tattoo on his neck. "Hey," Hazel smiled, setting her glass on the table. "That scorpion's pretty cool," Hazel said, motioning to the tattoo.