004 - The All-Consuming Tragedy of Betrayal

004

— the all-consuming tragedy of betrayal —

March 23, 2021

SHE COULDN'T EXACTLY THE MESS OF EMOTIONS SWIRLING THROUGH HER, ALL SHE KNEW WAS HER BRAIN COULDN'T KEEP UP. She sat on the end of the couch, Dawn taking up the rest of the space. Kory and Hank stood around as Dick stood in front of them all, his words making her stomach twist. Jason is Red Hood. Jason is alive. "There was a dead body. Jason's body. Bruce saw it with his own eyes," Dick continued.

"Maybe he was confused," Hank offered.

"Bruce doesn't do confused," Dawn insisted.

"I don't want to say it, but-"

"It was Jason," Dick interrupted, cutting Kory off. "I saw him." Hank shifted on his feet, turning away.

"How did he do it?" Dawn asked, moving her eyes to Dick.

"Somebody do some kind of voodoo act and raise him from the dead?" Hank questioned.

Kory nodded, "Bruce knows people."

"Bruce doesn't know anything about this," Dick huffed. "He never would have killed the Joker if Jason was alive."

Kory sighed and turned her attention to Hazel. "Haze," She called softly, and she looked over her shoulder at Kory. "I know it's shitty to ask you this but is there any way you can verify that this guy is Jason."

Hazel wrung her hands and nodded. "You said you broke this guy's mask?" Hazel questioned and Dick nodded. "Do you have a piece?" Dick nodded, pulling the broken red mask shard from his pocket. He passed it to her and the moment it was completely in her hand, her senses shouted at her that it belonged to Jason.

Hazel stood quickly, tossing the piece onto the table. "It's him, isn't it?" Kory questioned and Hazel nodded quickly. Hazel sighed, wringing her hands together, her eyes unable to stay focused as she paced around the small living room. "Haze?" Kory called. She glanced at Dick before calling for the girl again. "Hazel?"

"I just..." Hazel cut herself off and turned to face them. "I just started to get my head around this. And now... this? Jason's alive?" Hazel questioned. Saying the words felt bitter on her tongue and caused her heart to beat faster. She spun the rings on her fingers trying to focus on the metal to not panic.

"You're the only person I know who has come back from the dead," Dick said and Haze stopped and turned toward him. Dick sighed, and his eyes shot away from Hazel's. "Did you feel any different after you came back?"