009 - The Call Is Coming From Inside The House

009

— the call is coming from inside the house —

THE ROOM HAD BEEN FILLED WITH A FEW SHELVES AND TABLES, BUT IT STILL FELT BARE. Hank helped Terran pull the shelfs from storage before she was left alone with her Chinese food and music. She had two shelves set up and pushed against the walls next to the bed, red roses growing across them. After writing little sticky notes of what she wanted to fill her shelfs with, Terran threw herself against the bed. Terran shuffled back against the bed, staring up at the white ceiling.

Part of her wanted to go home, go back to her bedroom where she filled the walls with small paintings and drawings. Then she remembered her mother's yelling, her brothers tearing apart the walls and torturing the neighbours' cats. She loved her mother, she was her mom, but even though everyone in the tower felt like they were keeping secrets from each other, at least it wasn't screaming and crying. She could handle a few secrets.

She pushed herself up to rest against the headboard, her phone still playing Hozier through her room. She leaned over to stop it, hoping maybe to sleep, but she stopped when she noticed her box of beads and jewellery split across her desk.

She groaned as she moved to fix it, pushing everything back into the box until her fingers hit cold metal. Everything she had collected to continue making her jewellery had been found around the tower, old plastic beads from Halloween outfits and cheap toys. Terran stopped and grabbed the metal earrings, a pair of twisting gold in the shape of a rose. They were a gift to her mother two years ago.

"How the hell did you get here?" Terran mumbled, spinning it between her fingers. She pushed herself up and raced to the window, ripping the curtains open. The moonlight reflected around her room, bouncing off the shining wooden floors. She tapped her hand against the glass and looked around the windows before pulling them closed again, her heart racing.

THE MORNING BROKE THROUGH THE INFIRMARY'S WINDOWS, THE WARMTH SPREADING ACROSS SKIN ENOUGH TO WAKE THE ALIEN. Hazel quickly changed the bandages but looked up at Kory as she groaned, stretching her muscles out. "Good morning sleeping beauty," Hazel greeted, smiling at her.

"I told you to wake me up," Kory said, rubbing her eyes.

"Yeah, but you looked so peaceful," Hazel teased. She quickly set the last of the bandages in place before she stood with a steaibedc groan. "Now I need caffeine, would you like one?"

"Please," Kory hummed, pushing herself from the cramped chair. "Sweet please, but not Rachel kinda sweet."

Hazel nodded and walked to the kitchen, switching the kettle on. She leant against the counter, tapping her foot to try and keep herself awake. "Haze?" Gar called rushing from the hall.