021 - No One Is Excluded From Fear

021

— no one is excluded from fear —

April 4, 2021

IT WAS QUIET, NOT THE KIND TO RELAX IN, NOT THE KIND THAT RAISES ANXIETY BUT THE KIND THAT FELT SO UNCOMFORTABLE. She spun the slim metal of her rings around her fingers, staring up at the ceiling above her, listening to the sound of the soft ticking of the clock, the only sound beside that being the sound of cars outside.

Nina had kindly let the Titan's sleep at her house until their trip to San Francisco was ready. The sun had barely risen when Hazel had slipped out the front door, stepping out onto the damaged streets of Gotham. A man had walked past Hazel, handing her a bottle of water, a breakfast sandwich and a pack of cigarettes for a few extra dollars. He wished her a good day before walking further through the streets, helping anyone else sitting alone on the street corners.

Hazel sat against the brick wall, the cigarette she quickly lit blowing thick grey smoke into the air. Shops, cars and homes had been destroyed or vandalised, and the ones that were not had been boarded up from the inside. Hazel took another drag of the cigarette, her eyes dropping as a sense of guilt engulfed her.

The door beside her opened and Hazel looked up at Dick standing beside her. "Didn't think anyone would be up before me," He laughed, trying to get Hazel to talk but she just hummed in response. He groaned and sat next to Hazel, stretching his legs out in front of him. He looked at her once more before grabbing the cigarette from her lips and tossed it away. Before she could argue with him, he had grabbed the sandwich and tossed it at her. "Talk now."

"I was just thinking about something," Hazel muttered, pulling back the foil of the sandwich to bite into it. "It's been a hectic week if you hadn't noticed." Dick laughed at Hazel and shook his head. "Hey, can I go to the Manor with you?"

Dick sighed and dropped his head against the wall, "Haze, I know Jason helped us-"

"Dick c'mon," Hazel huffed. "Don't make me do the whole I can take care of myself song and dance, we're past that."

Dick took a deep breath and nodded. "Alright come on, we're stopping for coffee first."

"Also I need a new phone," Hazel added as they stood. "GCPD took it and smashed it."

"You blew your budget by 200 bucks," Dick said with a shrug, walking around to the parking garage.

"Dick!"

He laughed, "I'll think about it."

Hazel grabbed the last of her things from the manor, even finding Gar's Toji animation shirt. She now sat at the kitchen counter, the sound of glass scrapping the marble echoing through the room as she spun the glass of whisky. She silently flipped through the pages of one of Dick's old training books, her eyes speed reading over the pages.