010 - Silence As Loud As Bullets

010

— silence as loud as bullets —

THERE WAS A DEAFENING SILENCE OVER THEM ALL, DROWNING THEM IN CRUSHING NERVOUSNESS. Gar, Hazel and Terran crowded around the back counter of the kitchen, the others sitting at the island, expert for Jason who sat alone at the glass table. Kory sat behind Dick on one of the armchairs, and Dick stood in front of her, telling the truth. Deathstroke was dead set for revenge because Dick was the reason his son, and Rose's brother, was murdered.

He told them everything, the way Hank, Dawn and Donna were complicit in manipulating the boy into giving up Deathstroke. They used him to give up personal information, to Jericho they were his friends, to them he was a piece on a chessboard. Yes, Deathstroke had killed their friend Garth, but that didn't excuse them using a kid to get revenge.

The worst of it was when Deathstroke wanted to speak to Jerico and Dick had followed him and in the ensuing mess of a fight, Jerico gave up his life to protect Dick. Hazel would have defended it as terrible luck, but the fact that Dick had gone against what Jerico, and the other Titans had wanted, got Jerico killed.

"I lied," Dick finished, his face stern. "I lied to you guys because I was afraid you'd leave this place. And me," Dick said, his direction cast at the kids, especially Rose. "And if that happened, there would be no Titans." Dick sighed and turned his attention to the older Titans. "And I lied to you, too. I told you that Jericho was dead when I got to the church, but he wasn't. He was alive. He died trying to save me from his father. I'm sorry. You all deserved more."

Hank leant forward slightly, casting Dick a look before pushing himself to stand. He paused when he got face to face with Dick. Dick sighed and Hank swung a punch across Dick's face.

Dicks head snapped to the side, his nose bleeding. Dawn jumped up, taking Hank by his arm. "Lying sack of shit," Hank said coldly. Kory jumped up as well, walking closer to Dick.

"How many other fucking half-truths have you told us?" Donna growled her tone cold as well.

"At least you got a half-truth," Rachel mumbled, looking at Donna.

"My brother's dead because of you," Rose snarled, her voice dripping with venom. Rose stood. "I'm out."

"I'm going with her," Jason said finally, standing as well.

"Jason, Look-"

"You don't decide what I do anymore," Jason interrupted Dick. He stopped and looked around for a moment. "What anybody does." Jason cast a final glare at Dick and followed after Rose.

"I'm out, too," Donna muttered with anger.

"I'm going with Donna," Rachel announced, sliding from the island. "Can I go with you?"

"Sure," Donna agreed.

"Rachel," Gar called, his voice soft.

Rachel turned to him, "I can't stay here." Donna and Rachel stepped away and Hazel hung her head.