020 - It's Already Begun

020

— it's already begun — 

THE BRIGHT LIGHTS CONSUMED THE CARNIVAL, THE AIR FILLED WITH THE SMELL OF POPCORN AND THE SOUND OF DELIGHT. Hazel smiled as her eyes watched the carnival, the neon lights bathing her skin in strange colours. Hazel dodged past a man on stilts, laughing at him as he wobbled around. She bit into the cotton candy when the high-pitched ringing filled her head.

Her eyes dissociated as she listened to Micheal's haunting words, "Hazel darling, see that ride in front of you, I want you to tear it down. Be messy." Hazel moved forwards, vines sprouting from her body tearing into vending stalls, and tearing through concrete. People screamed in terror, watching the roots grow faster and faster, stabbing through people as they ran away. A little girl cried, shaking her mother's arm as her mom lay dying, impaled by a thick branch.

The vines, roots and branches crept along the floor with her as she approached the spinning ride named the power surge. It was 15 metres tall, all 24 of its riders screeching in terror the ride offered. They hadn't seen Hazel yet, and if they could, what could they do?

The roots and vines encased the base of the ride, breaking through the tipping it over, toppling into another part of the carnival. People screamed as the ride smashed, crushing people beneath it. Micheal hummed in delight. "Very good, keep having fun Hazel."