016 - A Beating Heart

016

— a beating heart —

PANIC HAD TAKEN A SPOT IN HAZEL'S MIND AND AS THEY DREW CLOSER TO THE POLICE STATION, IT CONSUMED HER COMPLETELY. They had put their suits on, Hazel briefly saying goodbye to Cole before he sped back to his mothers, then they sat in big black SUV's and drove through the streets of Gotham. Kory and Dick had taken the first car, leading Conner who drove the second.

Hazel stared out the car window, watching the lights blur and flash by. Gar had watched her for a few minutes, debating with himself whether to grab her hand and tell her it was going to be okay, or just sit in silence. The first one was a lie, so he opted for silence, until Komand'r voice cut through the air, "On Tamaran it is called The Pit," Komand'r stared out the front window, counting the stars as they passed. "It's so dark. So dark you cannot even see your hand. Do you know what they call it in your legend?"

Gar furrowed his eyebrows, but Hazel quickly interrupted, "Gl'tzow Borkraj, unending misery. An endless labyrinth of pain and suffering. Torture that tears apart every atom in your body only to piece it back together again."

Hazel looked down at her hands and Gar reached for them before she could think too hard. His hand was larger than hers, completely encasing her skin in warmth as Gar squeezed her hands. Haze looked up at him through panicked eyes and he offered her a soft smile, "It's gonna be okay," Gar nodded.

"It isn't like that here," Conner reassured, his eyes moving to Komand'r beside him. "Right?"

"Right. Totally not like that," Gar nodded, his hand initially tightening the grip on Hazel's. "It's gonna be fine. Dick and Barbara have a plan. We're just gonna go in and out. This is really just all for show."

"We're gonna be together the whole time," Conner promised Blackfire. He took his hand in hers, holding her tight, "I've got you, I promise."

The cars came to a stop in the underground carpark, the exit blocked off with police cars leaving the Titans trapped in the concrete walls. Hazel stepped from the car, her legs ready to collapse the second they met the cold concrete. The panic had risen to Hazel's throat, and she pressed the heels of her palms to her eyes.

Gar walked to Hazel's side, gently taking her wrists and pulling her hands from her eyes. "Hazel?" His voice was soft, and she lifted her eyes to stare at him.

"How can you do this?" Hazel asked, keeping her voice soft. Gar furrowed his eyebrows and Hazel took her hands back, instead fisting his jacket as she tried to breathe. "How are you not losing your mind? How are you so you?"

"You don't think I'm freaking out? Cause I am." Gar took a breath calming his voice. "Every single bone in my body thinks the second I walk in there I'll see Mercy, or there's glass cages, or men lining the walls with guns. But I can't freak out right now cause you will, and you can't freak out because you're going to be fine."