001 - Not-So-Ordinary

001

— not-so-ordinary —

SOMETIMES SHE WISHED SHE COULD FLY, SOAR THROUGH THE SKY LIKE A STAR AND GO TO A DIFFERENT PLANET. Hazel Lillis, a not-so-ordinary eighteen-year-old girl. Her father had left long ago but her mother Marina said she took after him, the thick dark curls, caramel skin, dark chocolate eyes and the lucky nature to get caught in every bad situation. But Hazel was still tall like her mother, with red rose lips and a heart as vast and generous as the open sky.

Hazel was a dedicated enough as a student, consistently earning decent grades and garnering medals and plaques for her exceptional contributions to the school's farm and senior garden. Her dedication to agriculture and the community was evident in her awards. However, alongside her accomplishments, her academic journey was marked by a contrasting aspect—a series of suspensions and involvement in school fights, which left a noticeable blemish on her otherwise promising record.

One of those fights had come nearly two years ago when Hazel slammed one of the senior boys into the lockers. The boy, Trent, a nasty kid, jumping between schools all over the state, thought he could push himself onto the younger girls. The unfortunate girl was Rachel Roth; a girl with black and blue hair, pale skin, blue eyes and usually kept to herself, quiet in the back of the classroom.

The girl just two years and four months younger than Hazel was collecting her books from her locker when Trent tried to force a kiss from Rachel. Hazel was quick to step in, warning him to back off but he laughed at her, and Hazel slammed him face-first into the blue lockers, splitting his lip open.

Hazel found herself in detention, sitting alone in the pale blue room, her earphones blocking the constant buzz of the light and ticking from the overhead fan. Hazel's eyes focussed on the book in her hands, and she didn't notice Rachel step into the room until she kicked Hazel's chair.

Hazel jumped up and Rachel smiled. Rachel slid into the seat next to Hazel as the older girl pulled her earphones out and closed her book. Hazel clicked the rock music off and smiled. "Hey."

"Hazel, isn't it?" Rachel asked and she nodded. "I wanted to say thanks."

Hazel chuckled, her fingers tapping against the pen-marked desk. "We'll, I'm more than happy to help. Trent's usually a dumbass."

"True." Rachel held her hand out, smiling, "I'm Rachel. By the way."

Hazel took Rachel's hand shaking it. A surge of power rushed over Hazel's skin, and she tore her hand back, her heart racing. Hazel stared at Rachel's face, her regularly pale skin and blue eyes, blackened, dark as shadows with the veins and nerves running down her face to match. Hazel's shocked expression matched Rachel's, who stared into Hazel's bright green eyes.

Hazel Lillis, the not-so-ordinary, eighteen-year-old girl who could manipulate plant life.