018 - When Darkness Saved The World

018

— when darkness saved the world —

THE PAIN THAT HAD OVERTAKEN HER BODY WAS GONE; BUT SO WAS EVERYTHING ELSE. Hazel slowly opened her eyes, greeted by the warmth of the sun's rays that were pouring over the vast lavender field. As she pushed herself up onto her elbows, her hands sank into the soft dirt and lush green grass beneath her. She lifted one hand and gently traced the delicate pastel-coloured petals of the lavender, marvelling at their beauty. Looking beyond the field, she noticed that the towering dark oak trees that had previously lined the perimeter now gave way to a sparkling river, its crystal-clear waters the perfect spot for birds to take a refreshing bath.

"Can you feel the sun?" A woman called. Hazel turned, looking toward a girl that rested against a rock. Her long dark hair caught in the wind, her long gothic-styled jacket flapping as well. She plucked a lavender flower from the grass and stood, walking over to Hazel. Hazel stood and turned to the girl who smiled. "I can't."

She handed the lavender off, and Hazel carefully took it. "You were the one calling to me," Hazel realised. "How?"

"Well, I'm not entirely sure on how this works," The girl said with a shrug. "But I think I'm your sister." Hazel furrowed her eyebrows and the girl nodded at the pendant hanging from Hazel's neck. "I have one that matches that. My mom says-"

"Dad left it," Hazel finished. The wind picked up, spinning around them and twisting the lavender in all different directions. The clouds above grew dark and covered the sun, and the birds squawked and flew from the river.

A terrible darkness started to climb over the far hill, everything around wilting and dying. It raced through the grass hills, the flowers turning to ash, birds dropping from the sky.

Hazel looked down at the lavender in her hand and blood dripped from her nose, falling onto the purple petals. Hazel whipped the blood the away, whipping her hand clean on her jeans. "My friends killed me," Hazel said softly.

The girl looked up at Hazel who stared out at the dark clouds rolling closer. "They're possessed," The girl reminded. "You might need to go and save them."

"I'm meant to fight a demon?" Hazel scoffed. The girl shrugged, sliding her hands into her pockets. "What's your name?"

"Terran," The girl said. "You keep that lavender and I'll come find you."

"Why?" Hazel asked.

"You're dead," Terran reminded, chucking softly. "And I'm not. Yet somehow I'm talkin' to you." Hazel nodded softly. "Now wake up."