011 - A Tale of Two Cities

011

— a tale of two cities —

Day One, 6:47 am

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN NEARLY HALF A YEAR, IT WAS QUIET. With a longer nap than she needed, Hazel woke just before the sun rose, the slowly moving hum of early morning traffic making her smile. Hazel played music from her phone and simply read as the sun shone over the city. She sat on the balcony by the kitchen, slowly hearing the shift from the early birds to the ones that definitely do not want to be awake.

After enjoying the warmth of the sun for some time, the slight burn on her cheeks made her smile, she stretched her arms before standing to look over the city. Once the early traffic grew angry, shouts and car honks filled her ears Hazel wandered back inside, sitting atop the kitchen island, re-reading what she had that morning and started to annotate.

"Morning! How long have you been up?" Gar asked in a cheery voice, strolling into the kitchen.

Hazel set her book aside and slowly tipped to the right to reach for her phone. "Uh..." Hazel checked the time and sat straight. "If it's nine then... three hours."

"Jesus Haze," Gar chuckled, walking around the counter and turning the coffee machine on, the deep buzzing growing louder. Gar turned back to Hazel, leaning against the counter so he could drop his head back against her knee. "Weren't you the one that always complained about getting up early? Pretty sure you fought Dick about it like three hundred times."

Hazel smiled softly, her hands moving on their own to run through Gar's hair, straightening out the tussled ends. "Have you ever wanted to do something and then someone tells you to do it and then... you don't do it out of spite?" Hazel questioned, her fingers curling in his hair.

"Or you're a petty person," Gar suggested with a teasing smile as his eyes closed, content with the attention. "If you keep doing that, I'm gonna fall asleep again," Gar mumbled, his morning voice still present. Hazel laughed at him, pushing the front of his hair back into place before taking her hand back. Gar pushed himself up and walked back to the coffee machine, "Want a coffee?"

Hazel groaned, hanging her head back watching Gar for a moment longer before kicking herself off the counter, landing just behind Gar. She dropped her head onto his shoulder and nodded. "Please tiger boy, a coffee sounds amazing. I'm just gonna go put all this away." Hazel pushed herself off Gar's shoulder and grabbed the rest of her stuff, putting all away properly before running back out to Gar.

Once she stepped into the kitchen, Gar held up her cup, pretending to read something on the side of her very cute duck mug. "Hazelnut coffee for Hazel," Gar called out, imitating a fake retail voice. Gar laughed at himself and slid the cup across the counter. Hazel smiled, tanking Gar before sipping the bittersweet coffee.

"So, I was thinking," Gar started, taking his own mug, a cute tiger painted on the side. "Cook breakfast, a team effort, I did make you dinner last night. Then we can train, check on Conner, then we can watch a movie or play a game."