Chapter 42- Prom Night

Continuation..

Mr. Forgettable- David Kushner

Layla gets dressed and after some long efforts of convincing Red, she eventually manages to get her to come down alongside her.

They find Nick and Elle sitting at the kitchen counter, Nick scrolling through his phone and Elle has her arms wrapped around his arm with her head leaning against his shoulder, her eyes lit up from his phone screen.

"Hey." Layla speaks, filling the silence as she walks toward the pair, Red following right behind her as though she were a lost puppy, and Nick cocks his eyebrow at the scene of Red's clear fear all over her, "Are you good?" He questions, playfully punching her arm, and Red doesn't respond, she just shoots him a glare as she moves away from him.

This entirely goes unnoticed by Layla and Elle, but Nick keeps his eye on Red, and how she seems as though she might collapse now from the visible anxiety running through her.

"So, have you guys got your prom clothes?" Elle questions, clear excitement in her tone and expression as her white teeth are exposed through a grin. Red doesn't even look up at any of the conversation that occurs after, where Layla realises that they forgot and do not have anything and Elle argues with her and tells her that they need to get some outfits as soon as possible.

Nick never speaks, his eyes remain on Red before he gets up and hisses at Red to follow after him, which she hesitatingly does after looking over her shoulder in paranoia.

They go down the hallway, and when Nick is faced with Red, "Are you alright?" Nick tilts his head to Red, softly speaking so she doesn't get as queasy as she did before.

Red breathes deeply, and as her lips part to speak Layla comes in, "I'm so so sorry, but we need to go get dressed Red! We're going prom shopping."

And so they do, Layla, Elle, Nick and Red all go shopping for Layla and Red's prom clothes. However, you could argue that since Red didn't speak a word the entirety of the time they spent out and Nick spent it worriedly eyeing her, knowing that something was visibly wrong. But every time he met her eye to eye she would shoot him a small smile, and when Layla would ask her if she was okay she'd smile up to her ears with a big nod.

Nick didn't understand. They had bought Layla and Red's clothes for the upcoming weekend prom was going to be held, and Nick still didn't understand, and Red still didn't get better.

They dropped the clothes off along with Red and Layla at the Elsher house, and Nick spoke to Elle about it, she said she noticed something odd too, but not a usual odd, more of an urgent sort.

When it was just Red and Layla together, Layla would kiss her, and tell her all the things that usually comfort her, but Red would keep saying nothings wrong, it was very visible that something was indeed very wrong as the only times Red spoke was to deny there being anything wrong when there so very clearly was.

Red spent the entire week working at Aunt Carrie's restaurant, and every now she'll take a break and smoke the other half left of her deck with her hands anxiously shaking as her mind schemes.

Aunt Carrie realised an apparent issue and demanded Red to tell her. And so, Red did.

Prom.

Red's perspective..

Ever since I picked up my phone and saw the messages I got, I've not been able to be or act normal in the slightest. Maybe if it weren't for the way things are now, I would be better at pretending, but something about pretending around Layla is so hard. I can't be anything but completely transparent with her.