Chapter 6- Guilt

Monday..

Red and Layla hadn't spoken since the occurrence in the toilets where Red decided to say everything you shouldn't say to someone who was trying to help you out. Layla nor Red have mostly not been in school but today they both happened to be in, how lucky for Layla.

Red came in late as usual, and Layla ignored her existence as usual. It wasn't until the teacher told them to start the experiment that they exchanged words, well.. more like Red exchanging words.

"So, still not talking to me?" Red says in a low tone as she grabs a beaker off the shelf. Layla doesn't reply, simply ignoring Red as she crouches down to grab a tripod.

"I take that as a yes." Red purses her lips, as if holding herself back from saying some things she's more aware that she shouldn't say since she's a bit sober aside from being stoned.

Layla walks away to their lab table and places the things she gathered, Red following after her.

"You good?" Red forcefully says from behind her, their bodies close, Red's minty breath hitting Layla's neck causing shivers to run down Layla's spine. Layla doesn't move, or even flinch.

Red rolls her eyes, getting frustrated before going to the other side of the table to stand across from Layla.

"Layla." Layla's name rolls off Red's tongue so smoothly as if it's buttered. Layla stops doing what she's doing, takes a deep breath before setting the tripod on top of a matt and then mesh on top of the tripod before sliding the bunsen burner under the tripod. Red has her hands on the table and staring at Layla, feeling an unfamiliar feeling of guilt.

The teacher comes over, "That's a good set up you have there, Layla. Here are some matches, turn the gas on before lighting it, make sure the air hole isn't completely open." The teacher instructs as if they hadn't been doing this since year seven.

"Yes Mrs, i know what i'm doing, thanks." Layla's voice comes out rough, looking anywhere but at Red. The teacher nods and swiftly walks away.

"Wow, you talk to the teacher but not me?" Red raises an eyebrow, her smirk forming when she sees Layla holding back from arguing back, exactly what Red's used to.

Layla grabs the box of matches after turning the gas on, "Layla, come on, you know you want to argue back." Red speaks confidently, Layla's face getting more furious by the second.

She opens the match box and grabs a match before shutting it again.

"Speak." Red demands.

Layla attempts to light it by dragging the tip to the striker on the match box, she fails.

"Layla, it's already been long enough, it's getting petty." Red says, eyeing her. Layla attempts again her grip harder this time, but she fails.

"You know full well how i am when i'm not sober, come on!" Red whines in annoyance, getting closer to Layla unintentionally. Layla attempts again and this time it lights.

"No." Red says before she blows it out.

"Fuck sake!" Layla shouts before chucking the box at Red including the match that was just lit, "Shut the fuck up for fucks sake!"