40- The Chimes Close to Midnight

"Hi!" Omega yelled over the bass-boosted music coming from inside his house. "Just come inside! Get a drink and some food; it's time to party!"

Omega's house was packed when you and Mountain arrived. All of the past and present ghouls, besides Special, were there. Omega also invited Terzo and Copia. The brothers were mingling with the ghouls, and made their way over to you.

"Y/N! Mountain! Get some drinks!" Terzo told you. You said hello as you took off your coat. He threw his arm around your shoulders and walked you and Mountain to the kitchen as Copia and Omega put the coats away in the closet. Terzo poured you both some drinks, and released you into the party. You and Mountain walked to find your friends, and you found everyone forming a large circle seeming to hype up whoever was in the center.

"What's going on?" Mountain yelled to Alpha as he pushed his way forward.

"That new guy is having a dance-off with Mist!"

You finally made your way to the front of the crowd, and you could see what was going on. "Dancing Queen" was blasting from the large speakers in the corner, and Phantom and a ghoulette you assumed was Mist were dancing as if their lives depended on it. Mist clearly knew what she was doing, as she hyped up the crowd and jammed out. Phantom tried to copy her dance moves, but he looked a bit unsure of what to do.

"Phantom! Remember what I told you!" A new voice said. You turned to see a taller ghoul go up by Phantom and try to explain something to him. Phantom looked confused. The other ghoul shook his head and pulled Phantom aside before going back into the circle next to Mist. Mist was a bit uncertain about what was happening, but it all made sense when the other ghoul began to do the worm, making the crowd go wild.

"Yes, Ifrit!" Alpha cheered. Soon enough, everyone was dancing and singing along. You and Mountain were by a small table with electronics on it, including Omega's phone. You looked at his playlist, which contained all Abba songs. Mountain smiled.

"It's his favorite band."

"I can tell!"

The next song was "Lay All Your Love On Me". Mountain took your hands and twirled you around, moving you both towards the center of the room. The crowd parted, and let you pass. Right before the first chorus, Mountain gently dipped you, and pulled you back up to sing the lyrics to you. The crowd clapped along to the beat as you both danced. At end of the song, Mountain pulled you close and put his hands around you. With foreheads touching, you swayed together as the song ended. The romantic moment was cut short, however, when Sodo came out with a karaoke microphone and sang along to "SOS".

You and Mountain just smiled as he swayed his hips and sang in the direction of Swiss. You saw Copia give Swiss a firm shove, and Sodo grabbed the collar of his shirt to pull him closer.

"The love you gave me, nothing else can save me!" Sodo sang to Swiss, who looked uncomfortable being told this in front of a large crowd. "When you're gone, though I try, how can I carry on?"

As the party went on, you and Mountain sat on the couch and ate some snacks while talking to the ghouls. You learned that Omega threw the annual New Year's Eve party ever since his second year at the church. However, this year, he had more decorations and food thanks to the holiday bonus given by the church. Mountain pointed out all the new decorations including a disco ball hanging from the ceiling. As you looked around the room, you saw Sodo and Swiss marching their way over to you both.

"What's up?" Mountain asked.

"Oh, I think you know," Sodo said, his tail wrapping around Swiss' ankle.

"Omega locked all the upstairs room doors and has the keys on a necklace he wears the whole night. He's an ass, but it's a good idea," Swiss said.

"Yeah. Now go grind on him to get him to unlock a door for us. Otherwise the bathroom will be occupied for quite a long time," Sodo growled, pulling Swiss against him.

"Terzo's already doing that," you replied. Your little group turned to see Terzo very close to Omega, and ran his hand over Omega's arm. The ghoul fidgeted with his rings and avoided eye contact as Terzo flirted.

"Yeah, he's got a thing for Omega," Swiss told you.

"What about that other one? Sister Ash?" You asked.

"Terzo flirts with everybody. And I wouldn't be surprised if he's being extra touchy with Omega just for some good gossip," Swiss replied. "Anyways, it's close to midnight, so we might as well just wait. Wanna join us for the countdown?"

Sodo looked disappointed at Swiss' statement, but he pulled the Multi ghoul away with him as you and Mountain got up to join everyone for the countdown to the new year.

"Okay everyone!" Omega yelled as he shut off the speakers. "I have the time! We've got a few seconds. Ready?"

Everyone waited silently as Omega checked the time.

"Okay! Start it off! Ten!"

Mountain gently placed his hands on your waist.

"Nine!"

You looked around the room and saw the anticipation in everyone's eyes.

"Eight!"

Omega brought out a bag and began to pass out confetti poppers to everyone.

"Seven!"

You refused a confetti popper and put your arms around Mountain's waist instead.

"Six!"

Mountain laughed a little at your actions, but he pulled you close.

"Five!"

You beamed as his tail rested around your ankle.

"Four!"

You could feel some eyes on you both, but you didn't care.

"Three!"

His hands moved up to sweetly caress your face.

"Two!"

You moved your hand to have it rest over his heart.

"One!"

He leaned in.

"Happy New Year everybody!"

You both kissed as confetti fluttered downward and the new year was rung in.

. . .

While others chose to sleep in from partying so much the night before, Aether got up the same time as every day. Not only did he need to practice for the upcoming Rituals, he needed to collect his holiday bonus.

Aether got ready for the day and was going to say good morning to Sunshine, but she wasn't up. Instead, he slipped a little note under her door saying that he would talk to her as soon as he got back from running errands.

The Clergy offices were closed for the holidays, but Aether made a special appointment with Sister Imperator to receive his check. As soon as he got to the office building, he went straight to her office and knocked on the door before entering.

"Ah, Aether. Here is your check." Sister Imperator slid an envelope across her desk for him.

"Thank you, ma'am. Will I be seeing you at the next Ritual?"

"The real question is, will I be seeing you there?"

Aether was confused, but he tried to remain respectful. "I'm sorry?"

And with a cold, sickening smile, she told him, "Aether, your contributions to the band are no longer needed. As of today, Phantom will be replacing you."