22- Caught

"I have a surprise for you. Come to the greenhouse."

. . .

"Look up."

As Mountain dropped his hands from covering your eyes, you gasped, shocked by the beauty before you. The windows that made up the ceiling of the greenhouse were cleaned, so it was easy to see the multitude of stars. A gentle hand on your back guided you to a rocking chair as you were focused on the sky.

"Absolutely gorgeous," you whispered.

The only light in the greenhouse came from the moon, allowing you to see the stars better. You heard Mountain shuffling around, and you turned to see.

"Turn back around! It's part of the surprise!"

"Okay, okay!" You chuckled as you did as you were told. A soft glow came from behind you, and you heard swearing.

"You all right?" You asked.

"Yep, just a slight burn on my fingers. Not the end of the world."

You smiled and rolled your eyes as he ran his hand under the faucet. A few second later, Mountain tapped your shoulder. You turned to see his mask illuminated by candle light. He was holding a cupcake, and he had a big smile on his face.

"I don't know when your birthday is, but I want to do something in case I missed it," Mountain excitedly told you.

"Oh! You are too sweet!"

"Make a wish!" He said as he passed the cupcake over to you. You thought for a moment.

I wish for Mountain to be my friend forever.

You blew out the candle, and Mountain took it out of the cupcake before you broke it in half, handing him a piece. As you ate, he asked if he could put his arm around your waist. You said yes, and he led you to a rocking chair where you both sat down to stargaze.

"My birthday is next month."

"I will have to find something for you, then," Mountain purred as he nuzzled his head into the crook of your shoulder. His tail wandered up your leg, and you were grateful for the low lighting. You snaked your arm down the side of your leg, to brush your fingertips over his tail, but still avoided the spaded tip.

"Come with me."

You got up and followed Mountain out of the greenhouse. He led you through the Ministry Gardens, past the gate, and down the street. The village was quiet, and the only sounds heard were your shoes clicking on the cobblestone pathways.

. . .

"Look at our son!" Sodo clung to Swiss, as he pointed out the window.

"They grow up so fast!" Swiss wiped a tear from his eye, and he took a picture of Mountain and Y/N as they passed.

"So proud of our Mounty!" Sodo started to cry into Swiss' shirt as he gave him a side hug.

. . .

Mountain led you towards the sound barrier, but you stopped.

"Mountain, it's late. Should we really pass the barrier?"

"Yes." He gently took your hand and kept going. The forest became deathly quiet, and was extremely dark. Mountain led the way, since his ghoul vision was much better at seeing in the dark than you. He was patient with you when you tripped over tree roots and rocks, checking on you to make sure you weren't injured.

"Finally. I've longed to come back here," he whispered. You stuck your hand out to the nearest tree, and leaned onto it for support. You felt something scratched into it, and touched it.

"Wait, is this-"

"Where I found you." The moonlight shone on his mask as he gazed into your eyes before looking at the tree. "Not the only reason why we are here."

Still holding your hand, he made his way to the tree you were next to.

"Promise me to tell me if I push you too far. I don't want to hurt you," he told you. He ran his fingers in the slashes on the tree.

"But you are always so gentle."

"Promise me," Mountain stressed, hurt in his eyes. "I never want to hurt anyone again."

"I promise."

"Could- could I. . ." Mountain started.

"What? Use your words, darling."

"Oh," he let out a breathy gasp.

"Do you want me to call you that?"

"Please."

"All right. What do you want, darling?" You held both his hands and pulled him closer, your side still near the tree.

"Can I kiss you?"

"Yes."

Mountain let go of one of your hands to remove the fabric over his mouth. He pulled it down, and you saw his fangs as he smiled at you. He moved both of his hands to cup your face. You slowly put yours around his back. He moved towards your face, and you shut your eyes as he kissed you.

Mountain was gentle; he didn't kiss too roughly, and he was careful about not exposing his claws while holding your face. After a while, he began to trail his hands down your body until they rested on your waist. You broke the kiss when you realized he was shaking.

"What's the matter?" You asked him.

"Nothing, I'm fine."

"No you're not. You're shaking. Let me help you." You guided him to the ground, and you sat pressed against his side. "Is anything bothering you?"

"I-I don't know." He held your hands in his own, staring at the forest floor.

"Mountain?"

"Yes?"

"I think- I think I like you."

Mountain's arms flew around your body and hugged you as he started to cry.

"Oh-uh, you don't have to feel the same way about me, I just am unsure of how I feel," you explained.

"No! I think I like you, too." Mountain looked at you and smiled. You used the pad of your thumb to wipe the tears from his eyes. Mountain put you on his lap, and began to purr as you cuddled. He held you tight against him.

Suddenly, a twig snapped. Mountain's purrs became a growl.

"Hey, Y/N, you remember the way back?" He quietly asked you.

"Yea, I think so."

"Good. Go now. I will follow you."

You crawled off his lap as you both stood up. "Why? Stay with me, we'll go together."

"I need you to go back. Go past the barrier and wait closer towards the village. I will only be a few steps behind, I promise." His dark green eyes pierced yours.

"But-"

"Please!"

"Fine. Stay near me."

"I promise."

You set off back towards the village, and Mountain was about ten steps behind you. You kept going, doing as you were told.

"Still here. I promise," Mountain told you.

You crossed through the barrier and waited closer towards the village. Last you knew, Mountain was only a bit behind you, but it was dark enough that he could be mistaken for a tall shadow or a tree. You waited for a bit longer, but he still didn't arrive.

"Mountain?"

Your phone buzzed. It was Mountain.

"Go"

. . .

"Copia!"

"Why are you out this late, cara mia? Quit pounding on my door! You'll wake the dead!"

"Mountain- we went out of the village, and went far, and-and-"

"Slow down!"

"Mountain's gone!"