5- New Home

Swiss led you down the hallway to the back door, and opened it for you. He was still carrying your camping supplies, but he didn't seem tired.

"Are you all right, Swiss? I can take back the supplies." You offered.

"Nah, I'm okay. Besides, you've got the plant and binder."

You liked his personality. Swiss was energetic, sarcastic, and seemed to enjoy having fun. He reminded you of your friend Lily. Maybe Swiss enjoyed creating random presentations for party nights, too. You would have to text Lily about your new friend.

Swiss led the way across the road, and parted the sea of people. Well, they parted for him. People seemed intimidated by him. When you were near a library, Swiss almost ran over a small child who strayed from his mother's side.

"Oh my gosh! Sorry, buddy!" He said, trying to console the child.

His statement did nothing, as the child was on the brink of tears. Luckily, his mother swooped in and took his hand while chastising him for wandering off.

"Swiss, why is everyone ignoring you?"

"Well, see my mask?"

You looked at his black helmet. It was built like a gas mask.

"Yeah?" You responded.

"That's what people don't like. Some feel that us ghouls need to show our faces to be trusted. I do my best to be polite, but some people are real assholes," he commented.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be; it isn't your fault, Y/N. Also, people can get upset about changing Papas. The masks are for Copia, and we wear them to introduce the new band leader. Terzo will have time to visit with people now, but he won't be able to serenade crowds anymore," Swiss explained.

"I can see how that could happen."

You and Swiss took a turn and ended up in front of an apartment complex. He led the way to one of them and set down the camping supplies. Putting the key in the lock, Swiss opened the door and let you inside.

"Welcome home!" Swiss exclaimed.

"It's beautiful!" You gasped.

Your apartment was on ground level, but your head was in the clouds. As you walked into the living room, your eyes were drawn to the dark green and grey theme. There was a grey couch, television, wood coffee table, and some temporary artwork on the phthalo green walls. You would have to find some to fit the theme, as bright yellow stood out too much. An island with barstools helped to keep the flow between the living area and the kitchen. The countertops were white granite, and the bronze hardware accented the kitchen.

"You idiot! It's upside down!"

"How the fuck was I supposed to know that, you bitch! It's ugly as fuck, anyways."

You turned to Swiss, and rose an eyebrow. He stopped leaning against to door frame, and moved the camping supplies inside your apartment. He gave you the keys after you set your backpack, binder, and Sister's orchid on the couch. You put them in your pocket and watched Swiss.

Swiss walked back to the open door as bickering continued. He gave it a loud slam and you heard curses.

"Let's keep the conversations family-friendly, Sodo," Swiss announced.

You followed Swiss through the kitchen, past a bathroom, and to a bedroom. The source of the argument was two other ghouls. One was shorter than the other, and they seemed to be having trouble putting up another piece of neon artwork. There were many more in the box at their feet.

"Swiss, shut up," the shorter one said, holding a hammer and facing the picture.

"You shut up. Meet Y/N. Y/N, this is Aether, and the short gremlin is Sodo," Swiss said.

"Nice to meet you, Y/N!" Aether cheerfully said as he gave you a hug.

Sodo turned around and dropped the hammer.

"Hot damn, sweetheart! Good thing we're in the right room, eh?" Sodo flirted. He pulled you close to him with an arm around your waist. You wanted to flirt back, but you knew it was wrong. Earlier when you hugged Aether, you had a strong sense of wanting to protect others. What was happening with you?

"Dew," Swiss cautioned.

"Oh, fine. Don't you ever call me that again. Same for you, darling," Sodo told you as he dropped his hand. You took a step back by Swiss.

"We just wanted to add things to your apartment to make it seem more like a home. There's some food in the fridge, too. It was nice meeting you, but we have to leave since the Ritual starts soon," Aether mentioned.

"What time does it start?" You asked.

"For us, it starts in about thirty minutes. For you, at six in the church. So maybe an hour and a half?" Aether guessed.

"Or since you are completely smitten with us, we could escort you there right now," Sodo offered as he picked up the hammer and box of artwork.

"I will stay and unpack for now, but thanks for the offer," you said.

"If you ever want to talk, our numbers are in the binder," Swiss said as you all walked to the door.

"Ok, I will text you all after I charge my phone," you stated after you gave them hugs. You said goodbye and shut the door. After locking the door, you found your phone and charger, and plugged it into the outlet in the kitchen.

As you walked through your apartment, you couldn't believe how kind these people were. They could've easily kicked you out, but they took you in. You would be eternally gratefully.

You started to unpack your backpack and put the contents on the floor in front of the couch. You brought the clean clothes to your bedroom, tossed them on the bed and opened your closet. You were shocked to find a small box labeled "donations" on the floor of the closet. Kneeling down, you opened the box and found pairs of black pants, a light jacket, white button-down shirts, and some socks still in the packaging. You put away the clothing and shut the closet.

Back in the living room, you put everything except the Doritos in your backpack. You took the Doritos to the kitchen, and ate a few. After setting the bag on the counter, you opened the fridge and found a small plate of pizza and some juice pouches with a note.

"Dear new member,
We hope that you like it here, and enjoy your apartment. Hope to see you at the Ritual!
Best wishes,
Aether & Sodo"

You ate the pizza and drank the juice, and went to the bathroom to wash up.

. . .

Crap!

You launched yourself off the bed and ran to the door. Your book was too entertaining, and you lost track of time, so it was five to six. Luckily, you had changed into black pants and a white shirt earlier, otherwise you would be late for the Ritual. You patted your pocket and found keys and a phone, and went outside and pulled the locked the door behind you. Your shoes crunched on some gravel as you followed a group of people going in the same direction, and you headed to your first Ritual.