21- Time Together

You stood in the shoe store staring at Mountain's feet.

"You are not spending your money buying me a new pair of shoes!" He told you.

"Wear another pair, then!"

"I like these ones!" Mountain gestured to his feet.

"The ones that are broken down so much that I can see your socks through the toes of your shoes? Ridiculous," you scoffed.

"THESE ARE MY ONLY PAIR OF SHOES, Y/N." Mountain boomed. It was the loudest you had heard him speak, and you became anxious that you may have pushed him too far. The other people in the store started to look in your direction.

"I just wanted to get you a better pair," you say, trying to stay calm. You started to shake as his eyes caught your gaze.

"Hey, I'm sorry if I scared you. It's just that. . .," He trailed off. Mountain shook his head. "It's no use trying to find boots or shoes that will fit. Even if I do, they will be very expensive. I don't want you having to pay for something that you might not be able to afford."

"Okay. But can we just look around?" You told him. The rest of the customers in the store had left, most likely scared off by the idea of being in the same store as the tallest ghoul in the village who was previously yelling.

"Sure, Y/N. It's your day shopping, after all." Mountain walked around the store with you, pausing when you did. He didn't see enthused with the idea of buying shoes, but he humored you. After a while, he wandered off on his own, and you heard him give a soft "wow".

You turned to see him completely enthralled. Mountain found a pair of shiny black boots with embroidered leaves around the top. As the boots kept him occupied, you went to the front desk to find the owner of the shop.

"I see your friend is interested in that pair." The old man behind the counter said.

"Yes. Could you put a pair on hold for me? I want to buy them without him knowing."

"Sure!"

You told the man Mountain's shoe size, but he shook his head.

"I'm sorry, but the boots don't come in that size. I would have to make a special pair, and it would cost more."

You thought for a moment. Mountain had been kind enough to buy you presents and spend time with you, so you felt it would only be fair if you did the same for him. As you were about to respond, you heard the floor creak as Mountain came up behind you.

"Yes, please." The old man nodded in response.

"Yes to what?" Mountain asked you.

"They asked if they could have some arch supports for their shoes," the man quickly responded. He gave you the arch supports, and you were grateful for his speedy actions. You stuffed them in your backpack, going towards the door. Mountain opened the door for you, and you two set off.

"Mind if we stop at this shop?" Mountain asked, stopping in front of the florist.

"We have all sorts of time. Let's go!"

"Hey, Jenny!" Mountain called out as he entered the store.

"Mountain! Long time no see!" A soft female voice gleefully responded.

The shop had close to ten times more plants than Mountain's greenhouse. Flowers of all colors were on every level surface. The soft hum of a fridge caught your attention. Inside, it had flowers waiting for pick-up.

"Like these ones, Y/N?" Mountain's voice made you jump. "Sorry."

"Don't be sorry! And yes. I like how the greens accent the soft pink flowers."