20- Rescue Mission

"Another day, another Ritual."

"No, Mounty, it's 'another day, another slay'," Cirrus corrected me.

"ANOTHERRRRR DAYYYYY, ANOTHERRRRR SLAYYYYY," Cumulus and Sunshine screamed from the back of the partially empty church. Only us ghouls were there setting up our instruments.

I passed Aether as he covered his ears as the ghoulettes' voices reverberated throughout the empty church.

"Anybody seen Rain, Swiss, and Sodo lately?" I asked.

Sunshine shrugged. Even though she wasn't going to be onstage later, she was learning how to set up the instruments. "Dunno where they are, but they are gonna be late."

I excused myself to take a phone call.

"What's up, Rainy? You're going to be late."

"Mounty, come pick me up. Hurry!" Rain urgently whispered.

I lowered my voice. "Where are you?"

"Oh, more~"

"Rain. What was that."

"Anything for you~"

"Go to the upstairs rec room! Just come in the room, pick me off of the top bunk bed, and take me to the church," he told me. I was able to hear some noises in the background, but I couldn't decipher what they were.

"On my way."

"And don't think this was my idea! I am not okay with this happening right next to me!"

"Be right there, I promise!" I hung up and shook my head in disbelief. Couldn't he just walk over by himself? Whatever. I need to get away from the others before they drive me insane, and if it helps everyone get here on time, so be it. I went down the front steps of the church, and turned the corner to go down the sidewalk to our living quarters.

All of the ghouls have a large house-like building which was directly behind the church. It has multiple rooms to accommodate us all, although it is only for the ghouls of the current era. Apparently, the basement in our house has tunnels to the church and other Clergy properties, but I still have to explore to see if the rumor is true. The other ghouls get their own houses or apartments in the blocks surrounding the church. After a ghoul is no longer part of the current era, they can sign up for a car. The only two cars in the village belong to the Clergy and Special.

Fuck you, Special; you pretentious bastard.

Special is known for charming every person and ghoul in sight.

Special is known for using someone for his own benefit.

Special is known for taking a partner away from me.

Special will be known for never being able to fuck with me again.

. . .

"Yes, yes, yes!~"

I poked my head into the upstairs rec room and saw the lamp on, making shadows appear on the privacy curtains around the bunk beds.

Poor Rainy.

It was easy to see the outline of two ghouls viciously kissing each other. They were quite loud, and it was obviously Swiss and Sodo.

"Psst! Up here! The stairs are too creaky," Rain told me. To be honest, I completely missed him as he hid in the pile of blankets and pillows on the top bunk. I scooted over as far to the bunk beds as I could, and turned around with my back facing Rain. To make minimal noise, he crawled over and onto my back. I brought him down the hallway, and let him down. He quickly explained that he fell asleep reading a book, and the two ghouls came into the room thinking it was unoccupied. Next thing he knew, Rain woke up to Sodo and Swiss kissing in the bunk below him.

"Watch this." I pulled out my phone, called Sodo, and waited. Apparently, my ringtone on his phone was the sound on a video he took of me screaming at a wasp. The sound made all of us jump, and Sodo scowled before giving Swiss one last kiss before answering the phone.

"Hurry up, Skyscraper. I've got no time, and yea, I'm on the way," he told me.

"Where's Swiss?" I played along. Rain and I made our way towards the rec room door. Our tails wagged as we had fun with the conversation.

"He's with you all. Stop messing with me."

"Or you could stop messing with Swiss!" Rain giggled as he stuck his head in the door. I quickly grabbed his shirt and pulled him down the hall.

"YOU LITTLE- OH, YOU'RE IN FOR IT NOW!" Sodo growled as he and Swiss got off the bed and tore down the hall after us. Rain and I made it down the stairs, and bolted to the church. Swiss and Sodo were hot on our trail as we entered through the front doors. I shoved Aether out of the way, and the angry ghouls followed behind us. Luckily, they were stopped in the doorway by Copia.

"He's small," Rain spoke between gasps for air, "but fast."

"So- so is Swiss," I responded.

"Stronzo! Why are you so late?! Call time was ten minutes ago! And on the day I release my new songs! Delusioni!" Copia's voice echoed off the brick walls of the church. "How would you feel if I were to be refused the title of Papa? And you, Swiss! You were not here to help train Sunshine!"

"We-" Swiss started.

Copia cut him off. "Nevermind- get set up. Now. I hope you have practiced to perfection."

. . .

The Ritual went surprisingly well. Copia released his new album which he titled "Prequelle", so he had us play "Rats." The audience seemed to enjoy it, and I guess I did, too. It is fun to play and is a fresh song added to our set list, so I was happy that I spent quite a bit of time practicing it.

I do wish I could've seen Y/N at the Ritual after it finished, but I guess it's better if we spend more time apart. Copia even commented about not seeing them. He told me that he texted them and they only responded by saying that they would try to make it. I will have to stop over someday when I am free. Perhaps I could find a way for them to contact their loved ones.