3- Cara Mia

As you walked with the man, you realized that he wasn't the same person you first met. This man was your height and had normal hands and teeth. You noticed his slight accent as he chatted away. It might be Italian. You clearly remember the height, claws, and fangs of the other man. It was easy to get them confused, as they both wore the same type of outfits. Would this man be trustworthy?

"Excuse me, but I feel that I met a different person earlier. Is this true?" You stopped to confront the man. He was busy telling you his feelings about the current weather, and was eager to hear what you would add to the conversation. His expression changed, and he looked guilty; it didn't comfort you at all.

"Well, uh, you see-" He saw you tense up and take a step back. "No, no, Cara Mia! It's just that who you met earlier wasn't able to escort you like I am doing now. He was given a task by Sister, and I was asked to take his place. However, he was able to personally deliver the message to you."

The gaze of his eyes pierced yours. You were still suspicious of where he planned to take you, and you were glad you seemed intimidating.

"So, can you at least tell me who you are?"

"I'm sure Sister won't mind me telling you before the formal introductions. I am Cardinal Copia, but you can called me Copia. I am going to be the new Papa Emeritus tonight. And you are?"

"Y/N."

"Pleased to meet you, Y/N. You are coming to the Ritual, right?" His eyes crinkled in a smile, and Copia chattered away excitedly.

"Huh?"

For about ten minutes, Copia talked about how the Ritual would work. He would be given new robes and be the lead vocalist in his church's band. You were completely enthralled.

"So, what does your church believe in?"

"Satan," he said, without skipping a beat.

"Oh. Uhm, well, that sounds. . . interesting."

"We don't harm anyone, we just focus on spreading our beliefs. It's all right if you don't believe in what we do- we take anyone in. Some stick around for the music. They have to contribute to the well-being of others and the maintenance of the grounds, but we still accept them. The Clergy has strict safety rules; although, we do occasionally ask for human sacrifices. It's just a joke, but Sister Marjorie has tried multiple times to have us sacrifice her so she can 'show her faith.' We may have to stop that soon."

He gave a soft chuckle that echoed through the forest. You were taught to always respect others, and you never strayed from that rule. You still wanted to show respect to Copia, but he still didn't seem trustworthy. The talk of human sacrifices scared you. Copia seemed to know how you were feeling, and stopped walking.

"Cara Mia, I see that you are uncomfortable and I would love to allow you to leave, but I already told you about what you shouldn't know. Now you can't go back," he took your free hand, "Please. I know this must be frightening, but trust me. Trust us."

"Okay," you gave a shaky response.

Copia patted your hand and let it go. "It will work out in the end. Remember, you were sent here for a reason."

"Yes. I hope so. Copia, why don't you take off your coat? You look quite warm."

"I can't. Well, I can, but not here. I have to keep the scarf and coat on until we reach the grounds of the church. We are almost there."

After walking some more, you reached the church grounds. Copia brought you over to a fallen tree, sat down next to you, and started to explain what you could expect at the church. You had to stay in the specified areas, there were some mandatory rituals to attend, and you would be given a job. He said that Sister Imperator would go over the rules in their entirety. Copia also explained the deal about the other man.