18- Special

"Have either of you seen Mountain lately?"

"Yes, but he's very busy. Mountain simply 'cannot be bothered by trivial things such as talking'."

"That's bullshit. I know your vocabulary isn't that extensive," Special told him.

"His words, not mine!" Alpha put his hands up in defense.

Alpha took you out to get cookies at the bakery, where he introduced you to Special. You learned that Special was the go-to-guy for doing interviews for the Ministry. He had nothing planned for the day, so he was able to stay and talk with you and Alpha while you ate your cookies.

"I just want to talk to him. He isn't responding to my texts or calling me back." You broke a piece off your cookie and ate it.

"Is that abnormal behavior for your conversations?" Special tilted his head, looking at you. Just as you were going to respond, Alpha got up from the table, apologizing profusely.

"I'm so sorry, Y/N, I have to go. Some people can't find the damn oxygen tank storage area. I'm sorry."

"It's all right, I understand," you told him as he left.

"I will take good care of them." Special winked. "Anyways, is this normal for him?"

You responded truthfully. You had no clue since you only knew him for a few months.

"Probably the right amount of time considering it has been a while. . .," Special muttered. He saw your confusion and added, "Oh, nothing, just ghoul stuff."

"Does it have to do with me?"

"You don't know when to shut up, do you?"

You gave a small gasp, looked at the floor, and apologized. Special only laughed.

"Don't apologize, Y/N. It does have to deal with you, however, I do not like to tell other people's stories." Special got up from his chair, leading you to the front door of the bakery.

A gentle breeze caused the wind chime next to the door to make a soft bell-like sound. A young girl was in front of the bakery, looking through the window at the baked goods. Special said hello, waved, and offered to buy her something. She only told him that she had to leave as she turned and started speed-walking in the opposite direction.

"Special, do you want to see my new pet?"

"Sure!"

. . .

Your apartment had a new member. Copia gave you one of Dottie's pups, and you instantly fell in love with it. You got him the best cage, blankets, and food.

"Special, this is Tobias." You handed Special your new pet, and he held Tobias gingerly as if he was afraid to break him.

"He's so cute! And he's got spots around his eyes like all the papas and Copia!" Special stroked the soft fur on the rat's tummy. His tail swayed excitedly as he handed Tobias back to you, and you put him in his cage. He ran around on a wheel for a bit, and then curled up in his blanket.

"To be honest, I'm more of a cat person. I can understand them better," he told you.

"Don't go bringing any cats around here. I don't want anything to happen to Tobias. You're just like Alpha. You both like to cause problems."

"You know it, darling. Anyways, how are you liking it here?" He asked, sitting in an armchair.

"I can't find anything to complain about. I have food, clothes, somewhere to live, a job, and great friends." You leaned forward, putting your arms on the back of another armchair.

"Nothing that bothers you?"

"Nothing."

Special gave you a look.

"What's that for?" You questioned.

"It is hard to believe that you have no issues at all."

"Oh, so you just want gossip. Is that so?" You went over toward Special as you asked him. He stood up.

"Maybe a bit more," he whispered. He took your hands in his own, pulling you towards him.

"Whoa, there. We just met today," you cautioned him. Special gazed into your eyes.

"And who cares?"

"Uh- nobody."

"Hmn, darling? Speak up," he told you, making circles on your hands with his thumbs.

"Nothing, you can continue."

"But you said something, no? I won't touch you anymore if your heart is promised to another." Special let go of your hands and moved a step away from you.

"It's not promised, go ahead. Please."

"You are delightful, my darling."

Special gently cupped your face with his left hand, and used his right hand to tilt his mask up just far enough to expose his mouth. He smelled like cinnamon. You closed your eyes, moving toward him. Special softly kissed you, being careful to not seem too eager for the touch of your lips on his. The cold of his metal mask touched your forehead. His hand lazily ran through your hair as you broke the kiss.

"I have never kissed a human before," he confessed.

"How was it?"

"Perfect. Like everything about you."

. . .

You woke up a few hours later cuddled on the couch with Special. He softly snored, and you got up to make iced tea.

You both promised to not do anything more than kissing, and the promise was kept. After a while, you cuddled and watched some t.v. resulting in a nap after you shut it off when Special fell asleep.

When you finished the tea, you poured yourself a glass as Special gave you a hug from behind.

"I have to get going. May I visit you when I have off from work?"

"Sure."

"And could we do this again?"

"Yes, sweet pea." You turned to kiss his masked cheek, and Special laughed.

"Bye, darling."