24- Phantom

*TW: blood, knife

Bringing a fallen angel through the village without prying eyes watching every step of the way was hard enough. It was even harder when Phantom insisted on saying hello to everyone he passed.

"Hello! Hi there, little one! Nice to meet you, ma'am! Isn't it a lovely morning, sir?" Phantom gleefully called out to villagers.

"Tell him to wipe the stupid grin off his face and shut up before we get into trouble," Ather whispered to Sodo.

"In a bit. He's so innocent, and it makes me want to corrupt him." Sodo replied, most likely imagining Phantom screaming his name.

Aether sighed. The holy reek still coming off of Phantom would attract the other ghouls, and he was not ready to interact with them today. Aether was due for a yearly meetup with the other quintessence ghouls, and he dreaded it. The older ghouls were known for their jealousy for the ghouls that were currently in the band, and even though Aether was good friends with most of them, he was no exception.

Copia hurried Phantom through the village, leading the way to the church. He opened the door with a key from in his robes, and told the rest of the group to wait with him as he went to get Sister Imperator and Papa Nihil.

"I like the stained glass."

While Phantom was entertained by Cirrus and Rain telling him the history of the church, Aether walked up to Mountain and Y/N. His eyes flicked down and spotted them holding hands. He hoped that Mountain and Y/N's relationship was going well.

"So what exactly happened? How did you, I don't know, disappear?" Aether asked Mountain.

"We were out for a walk, and I heard a twig snap. I told Y/N to go back and I followed, but I was caught." Mountain told him.

Aether pulled Mountain aside. Y/N went over by Sunshine and Cumulus. "Just a walk? No. . .?"

"I wouldn't dare!" Mountain gasped.

"Okay! Anyways, was Phantom at the police station?"

"Yep. As a guardian angel. He's quite young." Mountain watched Phantom walk down the aisle, marveling at the architecture of the church.

"Innocent, too. I think Sodo may have a more hands-on approach to teaching him." Aether chuckled.

"Ghouls! Out of the way!" Sister Imperator called out.

The ghouls and Y/N scurried out of the aisle as Sister and Papa Nihil made their way to see Phantom. Copia was close behind; holding a large, dusty book as well as a shoebox.

"I am Sister Imperator, and this is Papa Nihil. You must be Phantom." Sister was quick with her introduction, giving Phantom no time for a response. "Go and lay down on the altar. It's at the back of the church."

Phantom scooted onto the altar, giving worried looks towards the ghouls before he put his back down. "What- how does the ritual work, ma'am?"

A faint smile could be seen on Sister's lips; the fallen angel was very polite. Copia opened the shoebox to retrieve a vial. He handed it to Papa Nihil, and went around to light some candles.

"This will hurt, but only for a short while. Then you will forever be a ghoul." Sister grabbed the book from Copia, flipping to the right page.

"Careful, Seestor. The book is fragile," Papa Nihil warned as he opened the vial. Aether and the rest of the ghouls picked up on the scent from the vial. Blood. Papa Nihil poured a few drops onto Phantom's forehead, and drew an upside down cross with his fingers. The dark red stood out against his soft golden-tinted skin. Next, Papa Nihil took some grey powder from a bag in the shoebox and made a pentagram on Phantom's chest.