THIRTY SIX

CHAPTER THIRTY SIX- Invisible -

CHAPTER THIRTY SIX
- Invisible -

SEVEN YEARS AGO

An eleven year old Cheshire slept soundly in her home nestled in the heart of Mirror Ball Island. A town where many would dock and replenish their diminished supplies before they took on the treacherous seas once more. Pirates were a common occurrence as well as the odd Marine ship that searched for a place to sleep when storms became too harsh to fight.

Invisible to the world, little Cheshire stayed where she lived beneath the stairs, the musty heat leaving her hair line drenched in sticky sweat and eyes burning. But the stench of ash and the sizzling sound of a flame was unusual to say the least.

Passing voices awoke her from the short nap, pulling the small child to sit up and peer through the ajar doorway. Her wide eyes watched as the house members came racing past, headed for the front door.

Curiosity guided the small girl. She hesitantly left her home, the smell of fire growing more violent in the morning haze. Rubbing her eyes, the small girl was confronted with the scene of nightmares as flames towered over her and threatened to destroy the scaffolding of the buildings surrounding her. Smoke billowed into the air, the smell attaching itself permanently to her sinus as she tried to join the crowds.

Invisible to the hordes, Cheshire was shoved out of the way, trampled by the coming crowds before the smallest of breaks came.

Carriages pulled along by panicked horses raced every which way, the carts filled to the brim with panicked civilians looking to escape the horrific blaze. Cheshire tried desperately to wave them down, but they ran straight past her, the terrified animals almost stomping on her as they made their grand escape.

Her next option would be the docks.

The little girl followed the shoving crowds as explosions sounded through the atmosphere. Her wide eyes found solace in the skies that took on an apocalyptic glow, black silhouettes of crows fluttering about as figures celebrated amongst the flames. She watched emptied streets pass, corpses fallen to the ground, their ears, eyes and nostrils bleeding, cuts of all sizes and depths scattered across their skin. Through the alleyways, she could faintly see victims forced to their knees, blood dripping from slit wrist and forming solidified cuffs as they awaited judgement.

The crowds were frozen as a figure landed in front of them, her white gown stained with dark ash and sword dripping with the blood of her victims. She tsk'd faintly, shaking a finger before a round of bullets cascaded through the streets.

Screams echoed through the air. Cheshire parted and ducked into a dark alley, sinking into the shadows as she silently watched the White Queen and Caterpillar round up those left behind.