SIX

CHAPTER SIX- Above The Pay Grade -

CHAPTER SIX
- Above The Pay Grade -

Coming to an abrupt stop, Cheshire locked a hand around Luffy's mouth. Voices echoed from below them as a dim lantern's tender light streamed through the next sewer grate. The blonde thief curiously peered into the vent, still holding a hand over Luffy's mouth as he slid uncomfortably next to her. Soldiers yelled at each other before sudden crashes followed and bangs of weapons. Silence came soon after.

Luffy pushed Cheshire's hand and tried to shift forward when the vents finally gave in. The metal snapped loudly and sent the pair plummeting into the map room, a table crashing under the weight.

"Ow..." Cheshire whined, rolling onto her back with a wince, Luffy's foot in her face. She groaned and shoved the boy's foot from her face. Luffy was on his feet in the blink of an eye as if they didn't just tumble out of a vent and smash into a table.

An orange haired woman dressed in the Marine Corps uniform was on top of them in an instant. She easily swung a bow staff between her fingers, pointing it dangerously at Luffy who held his hands up defensively. "I'm taking you both into custody for trespassing on a Marine Base."

Cheshire huffed out an annoy breath as she sat up, watching the woman with a tilted head. Luffy grinned, glancing at Cheshire and gesturing to the woman as if asking Cheshire if she was hearing this obvious bullshit. "Better take yourself into custody too, 'cause you're not a Marine."

"Am too."

"Nah, give it up." Cheshire stood, brushing out her cloak and readjusting her dishevelled clothes. "We heard everything."

Luffy nodded along. "You stole that guy's uniform. And now you're looking for my map."

"Our map," Cheshire corrected.

"Right. Right, our map."

"Your map?" the woman disengaged her staff, staring at the boy in similar confusion to what Zoro had.

"Yep! Our map to The Grand Line."

"It's my map and I'm not leaving without it."

"I guess you're not leaving then," Cheshire shrugged, marching pass the woman and purposely bumping her shoulder. Luffy trailed after her like a lost puppy, beginning to ramble on about what he thought the map could be. He imagined it to be in a golden bottle, drawn with golden ink and glitter. He stared ahead in awe at the image painted in his head and Cheshire once again envied the boy's youthful outlook on life.

"Hey! Hey! Get back here!"

"Keep walking, Luffy."

"Hey! Come back!"