TEN

CHAPTER TEN- Reminiscent -

CHAPTER TEN
- Reminiscent -

What followed White Rabbit's kidnapping was a failed attempt at escape by Nami who tried to use Luffy's stretchy abilities to distract Buggy while she made a run for it, efficiently leaving Zoro and Cheshire behind. Throwing Luffy's hat into the sky, she sprinted for the exit as Luffy threw a stretched arm out to catch the straw hat and clutch it tightly against his chest. Nami hadn't made it far, becoming paralysed with grief just a few meters from the exit. She was dragged back inside with tears stricken cheeks, screaming about how Buggy destroyed the village and took everything from them and destroyed what was left.

Buggy had only smirked whilst munching on a snack. "Not everything. I let 'em keep their hands," he shrugged simply, earning a round of applause from the imprisoned audience.

Nami's attempt at escape had made Buggy curious about Luffy's devil fruit powers, keeping him in centre stage as Zoro, Cheshire and Nami were dragged back to the green room.

Cheshire had felt humiliation before. Mad Hatter took pleasure in boasting about her failures and exposing her to the rest of the crew to set a good example. To show of the scars of her mistakes. But being trapped in a dog cage had to be a low point even for her.

Cheshire fiddled with the lock, digging her sharp nails into it in an attempt to release the cage door. But she couldn't dig far enough, and cried out in frustration, kicking the edge of the enclosure.

"Give it a rest. Those ropes are too strong, even for you," Nami spoke up tiredly from the hanging birdcage above Cheshire.

Beside them in the adjacent wall, Zoro was strapped to a currently stationary spinning board, wrists and ankles strapped with two hooks hanging over his shoulders. The simple placement was enough to keep his movements limited no matter how much he fought against the bounds.

"I've got out of worse," Zoro remarked dryly.

"Do you think they'll hurt Rabbit?" Cheshire asked but dreaded the answer she may receive. Her fingers hesitantly pushed through the cage, clenching tight around the metal as she tried to stretch her legs out in the tiny space.

Shockingly, Zoro was the one who spoke as Nami's distant stare continued, the haunting images of the village playing on repeat. "He won't hurt him," he said with a short glance at Cheshire who watched him uncomfortably. "He's more valuable to the clown alive." Cheshire tried to smile beneath her mask, but Zoro only shook his head dismissively at the worried girl.

"When I ran out of the tent, I..." Nami hesitated with a wavering voice. "I saw a town or what was left of one after Buggy destroyed it."