TWENTY SEVEN

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN- The Bright Red Target -

- The Bright Red Target -

When Cheshire finally pulled away, her red eyes were wide as she realised everything she had whispered. She didn't know why but the moment she had began she couldn't stop, she wanted nothing more then to have Nami's forgiveness in putting them on such a dangerous path with a mad man following their every move.

But Nami had managed a small smile, a tiny one that Cheshire almost missed. "It wasn't your fault," she had said softly, shaking her head slowly as Cheshire tried to deny the claim. "A Warlord doesn't work for anyone. Mihawk came looking for Luffy, not you. He said the Marines had sent him, not that... Mad Hatter. It wasn't your fault."

When Cheshire had managed to regain some composure, Nami had pulled her to her feet, purposely grabbing the blonde's wrist rather then her hands that remained saturated in blood. They promptly moved to Cheshire and White Rabbit's bedroom, finding a spot in the ensuite as Nami gently glided Cheshire's hands into the sink.

She turned on the warm water, dunking Cheshire's shaking hands beneath the tap. They stood in silence as both girls started scratching away the dried blood, watching the chipped red slip down the sink with the quickly darkening water.

As the only towel in the room was hung over the mirror, Nami tugged it down and wipe her hands over it. She watched Cheshire eye their reflection before she leant forward, wet fingers grazing her jaw and wiping the blood from her pale skin.

A curse was uttered.

Cheshire turned to Nami, her eyes wide in panic but her friend only held out a towel, remembering the blonde's need to hide her mouth.

When Cheshire took the towel, Nami turned around, her arms folded across her chest as she waited patiently, giving Cheshire the privacy she needed.

"I don't think I need to hide this from you anymore..." Cheshire murmured, looping her fingers around the mask and sliding it off her ears. She gulped as she stared at her reflection, the horrifying permanent grin glaring back at her as a constant reminder of the large target she painted on every crew member's back. "You... you can turn around."

Nami didn't move. "You sure?" she asked.

Cheshire gave a slow nod. "Yeah..."

Nami didn't know what awaited her when she did so, but every dark thought she had was a fairytale when in comparison to the scars that stretched Cheshire's grin into a crooked and torn smile. It was bloodied, still dripping, a look of nightmares that made the orange haired girl frown with a heart aching sympathetically.