THIRTY FOUR

CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR- Fucking Clowns -

CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR
- Fucking Clowns -

         To be given Luffy's straw hat was a sign that he trusted you wholeheartedly. It was his most prized possession, the only thing Shanks told him to keep before he parted, and yet, he placed it on Nami's head as he promised to help her.

When Luffy approached his crew, he called for them to follow whilst Nami trailed behind him like a shadow amongst the slowly growing sunrise. The boys didn't hesitate to head for Coco Village, flames illuminating the town where it stood amongst the horizon. It took Cheshire a moment to realise White Rabbit had some how found his way to Zoro's back as his hops struggled to keep up with the long strides of his friends.

Cheshire however waited in front of Nami, wanting nothing more to comfort the girl who could look up through her blurred eyes.

"Cheshire..." the orange haired girl began.

Cheshire shook her head. "I understand more then they ever will," she assured gently, letting a hand fall to caress Nami's shoulder comfortingly.

"I needed to save them and it felt like the only options, I..." Nami stammered, pressing a hand to her eyes as her voice cracked with grief again. "I just wanted to keep Coco Village and Nojiko safe and instead I hurt them."

Cheshire quickly encased the girl in a tight hug. Rubbing the girl's back, Cheshire held her silently as Nami let the grief finally roll off her shoulders in violent sobs.

"It doesn't matter now, let's put an end to Arlong," Cheshire assured, patting the girl's back half heartedly.

They pair followed the path the guys took, meeting them in Coco Village with the warmth of the morning sun glowing in the gloomy sky. The poor town was destroyed, the aftermath of Arlong's wrath left in small embers still coating the scaffolding of the burned homes. The village people had joined them, armed with whatever arsenal they could find, the rust visible on their old guns and ageing weapons.

White Rabbit was still sat over Zoro shoulders, his small arms looped around the swordsman's neck.

Whilst Usopp hurried to try and help put out the still burning embers, dragging a small bucket of water from a well, Nami glanced over the townspeople, her trembling hand interlocked with Cheshire's. She stammered, her voice quivering with gratitude seeing her old friends willing to stand with her after all she had done.

"Nojiko told us about your sacrifice. We didn't know. Can you ever forgive us?" The old soldier, Genzo, spoke for the group, a rifle rested against his shoulder.

Nami shook her head tentatively. "There's nothing to forgive," she declined. "Coco Village is my home."

"Then it's our turn to sacrifice. We're done living in fear." Genzo spoke bravely despite the dangers of standing up to such a powerful pirate. "We're gonna march on Arlong Park. If those fishmen want a fight-"