THIRTEEN

CHAPTER THIRTEEN- A New Start -

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
- A New Start -

TEN YEARS AGO

         Nina had to learn medicine from a very young age. When she left her home for the surface world, she knew she'd need to know how to help herself if she were to become injured as there was so much uncertainty surrounding how humans felt about creatures in the ocean. It was the safest option, she always chose the safest option.

But loosing a limb entirely was beyond what she understood. And it terrified her how easily it happened.

Damn Sea King...

She tried her best to help ease the pain, but it didn't stop Shanks from letting out a agonising groan or a few tears when they were alone. He put on a brave face for his crew and kept a smirk whenever Luffy showed up, but all of that dropped when they left and he was left alone in Nina's care again.

More then a few apologies slipped from Nina's lips as she tenderly changed the bandages as the moon watched from the horizon. She felt Shanks' remaining hand gripping her arm as she peeled back the bloody bandages, trying her best to ignore the burning sensation of his blunt nails in her forearm. It felt selfish to complain about such a tiny thing compared to the excruciating pain he must've been feeling.

"There..." she murmured, finishing up and dumping the bloodied cloth and scissors for the black stitching in a bowl. She helped Shanks shrug on the other side of his button up, leaving it undone as the thin material threatened to fall back down his missing arm.

As Nina stood, she heard a faint thank you from the pirate Captain. Though he was still dazed, he'd managed to stay awake which was a definite good sign, though the Siren wasn't sure if he was just too stubborn to let a Sea King mean the end of Red Haired Shanks.

"I could've helped..." Nina murmured, replaying the explanation Benn had managed to coax out of Shanks whilst he dragged him to the beachside home. Her efforts may have been futile, as a Sea King was far superior then a Siren, but perhaps she could've stopped it. Sirens have been known to possess creatures other then humans with their voices. If she had just fought harder, if she wasn't so scared...

"I wasn't going to risk that," Shanks promised, his voice startling Nina as she turned to find him stood beside her. "Nina, I'm fine. Luffy is fine. The guys dealt with those bandits, no one's going to come looking for you." He went to cup her face between his warm hands, pausing with a look of frustration appearing when he realised what was missing. Noticing it, Nina leant into his remaining hand, kissing his wrist softly.

"It'll take time to get use to," Nina mentioned briefly, Shanks' hand falling to the curve of her waist as she looped her arms around his neck. Her prior concern was put aside when she noticed her partner's own dismay. "It doesn't make you worth any less though."