THIRTY ONE

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE- Conomi Islands -

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE
- Conomi Islands -

"Do you think I need to tell Luffy?" Cheshire asked quietly, watching from the doorway as Zoro swayed in the hammock that acted as his bed. His katana was rested by his side, held protectively by his chest and he squinted an eye open from his slumber upon hearing the girl's quiet question.

"Tell him what?" he clarified, closing his eye again to try and return to his rest.

"Everything. Like Mad Hatter and Wonderland."

Her explanation made Zoro open his eyes again, and he gave the girl a pointed look. "Why?"

The uncomfortable criticism Buggy threw left and right to the three boys left on the upper deck could be heard in the lower ones. The clown sure had a large mouth and loud voice. Even without his body, he was as annoying as he was before.

Cheshire cupped a hand tightly around her arm, swallowing uncomfortably as she recalled how she had shown her tattoo to Arlong in an attempt to make him let Luffy go. Undeniably, her friends had seen it and Sanji obviously recognised it meant a promise of loyalty to Mad Hatter so now she wondered if Luffy did and was waiting for the perfect opportunity to get rid of her.

"Luffy's not going to get rid of you," Zoro replied calmly.

Cheshire groaned, beginning to pace the outskirts of his bedroom as she rambled. "But like, I've lied. And the Mad Hatter is just so dangerous. And I don't want any of you to end up hurt. But like, he just scares me that much..."

Zoro let her ramble on and on, repeating the same perspective in different wording. He watched her pace back and fourth, pulling at her hair and rubbing her increasingly red eyes. The dangers of sticking around for too long was plaguing her mind like a broken record, the sounds of Mad Hatter's threats ringing in her head constantly. Painfully.

"Cheshire, you're safe here," Zoro began, still relaxed in the swaying hammock. "Luffy cares about you. Doesn't matter who you were with before."

Cheshire eyed him with her broken smile struggling into a frown. He seemed so confident in the idea, practically dozing off into the land of sleep in a few seconds of silence. When his voice returned, Cheshire couldn't help that flinch that came from the shattered quietness.

"Nami betrayed us and he's making us go after her to insist she comes back. Do you think someone who does all that is going to care that you were with another pirate crew before you met him?"

Cheshire's shoulder sunk in defeat. He was right, Sanji was right, but she couldn't shake that dread in the pit of her stomach. With a sigh she nodded. "Yeah, I guess you're right."