The Real Hero

Commandar Ming was watering his garden plants when Jeongyeon and Momo parked in his driveway.

"Jeongyeon... Momo...welcome girls." Commander Ming rushed towards them excitedly.

They both saluted him respectfully.

"At ease soldiers. I am at my house and there is no need for formalities." Commander Ming reminded them, smiling.

"Force of habit sir." Jeongyeon replied causally.

"Haha...well to what do I owe this surprise visit?" Commander Ming asked curiously.

"Can we talk inside sir? It's a bit private." Momo replied.

"Sure. Come on in." Commander Ming walked inside leading the two soldiers.

They walked inside the house looking everywhere. It was a simple house. But it felt homely none the less. Simple interior and everything was oraganized neatly.

"What can I get you  both ? Coffee or something hot?" Commander Ming teased them.

"No sir, we just had lunch." Jeongyeon interjected.

"Alright. Then tell me what can I do for you?" Commander Ming asked sitting down in the living room couch.

"Sir is that your daughter?" Momo asked looking at the photograph in the living room wall. It was a photo of a young girl in her twenties with Commander Ming.

"Yes. My one and only." Commander Ming responded proudly.

"She seems familiar." Jeongyeon commented.

"Really? She is in London right now studying for  medicine." Commander Ming replied.

"Perhaps, this is why I feel like she is familiar." Jeongyeon replied and placed a piece of paper on the coffee table.

Commander Ming eyed the paper curiously and picked it up. He froze when he turned the paper around. It was a photo of Minji.

"That's her mother isn't it?" Jeongyeon asked looking at her commander.

Commander Ming swallowed as he looked at the photograph.

"How...?" He started but couldn't finish.

"Remember when we were trainees you used to bring us to your house. We have seen your daughter's photos then as well. But we never saw your wife's nor was there any wedding photographs. No one knew about you getting married or having a girlfriend. But when we asked one time you said your wife died in a car accident. Only you and your daughter survived. " Jeongyeon replied.

"Today we saw Min Suho. He said his daughter was pregnant when the Kwan case was going on. They had an accident but the autopsy report had an error. It said the child was taken out of Minji's womb but there wasn't any report stating the baby being dead. Now it got me thinking. The age of your daughter and the age of Minji's baby seemed to collide. What a coincidence right Commander?" Momo asked faking Curiosity.

"There is no point it hiding now. Is there?" Commander Ming asked. He recieved shakes of heads.

"Well.. then the truth is out. Yes she is Minji's daughter or should I saw Kwan's daughter." Commander Ming agreed.

"Why sir?" Jeongyeon asked respectfully.

"I hope you both have been in love. When I first met Minji, she was already pregnant and in a condition no woman should have been in. People may think what I felt for her was sympathy but no, I fell in love with her. Ever since I saw her...I felt like protecting her.Taking her away from all the worries and give her a beautiful life. I didn't care if she was broken in others eyes. I believe she had a spark in her. And I wanted to see it." Ming said with so much adoration. You can tell how much that man loved Minji.

"Her father was devestated. I wanted to bring her justice. So I did everything I could. I saw her grow weaker and weaker every day. She lost interest in everything. I would make excuse to visit her. Don't think I am a creep, it wasn't my intention. Looking at her gave me the strength to fight. Fight for her. Kwan threatened me multiple times. He broke my legs and made me a punching bag. But Minji's face always gave me strength. " Commander Ming said.

"The day of the trail, I came to know Kwan had plans to kill them I rushed to save. But things were too late. When I reached the hospital, her mother already died and her father was a mess. The doctors said Minji was barely holding. She asked to meet me. With blood running all over her face, she held my hands. She didn't say anything just held me as she closed her eyes for the last time." Commander Ming quickly wiped the tear that threatened to fall down.

"So the baby?" Momo asked again

"The baby was alive. We had to do a c-section to remove the baby. Her father lost it realising both his wife and daughter are dead. I couldn't hand her over to him. I thought I could keep her safe for sometime before I tell the truth. But then again, I fell in love when I saw those beautiful eyes. Minji's eyes." Commander Ming looked lovingly at the photo they gave.

"Why didn't you tell anyone?" Jeongyeon asked confused.

"People like Kwan should be stopped. But when I took my daughter in, I realised how hard it is to be a father to a daughter. I was scared for her safety. I was scared anyone knowing her secret. My family left me because I refused to marry or gave the child up for adoption. Kwan was the least of my worries at that time. My only concern was raising my daughter." Ming replied.

"Sir. All these years. Do you still love her?" Jeongyeon asked.

"Yes. My daughter knows her mother. If Minji gave birth when she was alive I would still accept both of them. I never saw her any less than my daughter. And I wish you guys would keep it the same. As long as I live, she is my daughter. I won't let anyone else say otherwise." Commander Ming was serious as he replied.

"Yes sir." The soldier stood up abruptly.

"We respect you sir. You are the real hero." They said unison and saluted Commander Ming whole heartedly.

Commander Ming saluted them back and hugged them tightly. Jeongyeon felt her vision blurr. Her respect for this man increased ten times. In the world of selfish lovers, this man has shown them what real love is and how far a man can go for his true love.