||39||

I groaned and walked into the kitchen, going straight for a cup of coffee.

"I'm guessing you didn't get much sleep." Ryan remarked.

"None at all. Seth and I pulled an all nighter." I told him, which necessarily wasn't a lie. We just weren't working on the comic.

Since the meeting at Wild Storm, in which Mr. Burnstein told us to work on the comic some more and then bring it back for a meeting, Seth and Ben had been working nonstop.

Seth walked in then and also went straight for coffee.

"Wow, the comic is really wearing you two out." Sandy remarked.

"Yeah. It's really.."

"Really rough, yeah." Seth added quickly.

"I'm guessing the effects also include bruises on your neck." Kirsten told me and I looked down to where a hickey now was on my neck.

"Oh, that.. that's a burn from the.."

"Curling iron, right?" Seth added, but the two of us dropped the act as we saw Kirsten, Sandy and Ryan's expressions.

"Okay, we're back together." Seth said suddenly.

"It's about time." Sandy stated and I laughed.

"I'm happy for you two. Finally we don't have to see you both moping around the house." Kirsten joked and I grinned.

"Ry?" I asked, wanting his opinion.

"I'm glad you two are back together. Just don't break your heart again." Ryan told Seth, who nodded quickly.

"Thanks, Ry."

~~~~

I sat on Marissa's bed beside her, while Summer looked at a pair of boots in Marissa's closet.

"I feel really bad for leaving you alone on Valentine's Day." Summer stated.

"Me too."

"Oh, it's okay, you guys. Actually, I wasn't alone." Marissa said with a smile. Summer and I exchanged a glance.

"What? Have you been holding out on us?" I asked her.

"Who were you with?"

Marissa looked like she was going to say something, then she stopped.

"No, no. I was with my mom, that's all." Marissa said.

"Oh."

"So what are you two doing tomorrow night?" Marissa asked us.

"Nothing, I don't think." I told her.

"Yeah, nothing for me either."

"Well, there's this party thing.."

"What party thing? Whose throwing it?" Summer asked Marissa, who, for some reason looked really nervous.

"Caleb." Marissa said after a moment's hesitation.

"Ooh, party at Caleb's. Should be fun. A little shuffleboard, a little bingo." Summer joked.

"Well, I just thought you two could keep me company."

"Of course." I told her and Summer nodded. "Yeah, no prob."

I couldn't help but notice Marissa still looked on edge. I wondered what was going on with her, but I was sure I'd find out sooner or later.

~~~~

I stood with Seth at the party. It was supposedly to celebrate Caleb adopting Lindsay, but none of the guests knew that.