016 - And The World Held Its Breath

016

— and the world held its breath —

THE TWISTING IN HER STOMACH HAD STOPPED, BUT NOW SHE WAS CONSUMED BY A NUMBING PULSATING BEAT IN HER BONES. Hazel woke a few hours later. The sun had set, replaced with the moon and the stars that cast a white glow over the small cottage house.

Hazel pushed herself up, spinning so her legs dangled off the edge of the bed. The hair on her arms stood, the cold air chilling her skin and making her shake. Her hands weaved into her hair and Hazel shuddered as the pulsing beat in her bones grew stronger.

Hazel stood on shaky legs, stumbling to the bathroom. She pushed the door open and pulled the shade on the window back, the moonlight making the room bright. Hazel stood in front of the mirror, looking at her eyes.

Hazel tugged at the collar of her shirt, pulling it back to see the veins running through her skin. She pulled up her sleeves, checking for any sign of the glowing light in her skin.

An overwhelming sensation swept through Hazel, a visceral wave that surpassed the mere nausea she felt before. Her stomach twisted and convulsed. The sensation within her was akin to a scorching inferno, her entire body igniting like an uncontrollable bonfire.

Her head spun in a maddening whirlwind, her vision blurring and fading like a nightmarish hallucination. Desperately, she clutched at the sink, attempting to anchor herself, but the sheer force of the sensation overcame her. Her trembling knees gave way, and she crumpled to the unforgiving floor with a resonant thud.

As the world dimmed, the lights above her flickered erratically like a sign to stay awake but her eyes closed nonetheless.

Gar stared at the ceiling, flicking his phone in his hand. Something about this place had set him on edge, his leg bouncing whenever he was sitting and his hands couldn't stay still, no matter what was happening.

A thud echoed from the room over and Gar sat up, his heart racing. "Hazel?" Gar called; the walls thin enough that she should be able to hear him. The lights through the house flashed quickly and Gar threw himself from the bed, racing to the room to the left.

He threw the door open, turning to the bathroom when he noticed the empty bed. She was splayed out on the bathroom floor, her back facing him. "Hazel!" Gar shouted, dropping to her side. He turned her over, pulling her into his lap when he noticed the blood dripping from her nose. "Fuck. Rachel!" Gar shouted. "Rachel! Angela!"

Angela was running into the room a few minutes later. "Oh my god," Angela cursed.

"I don't know what's wrong," Gar rambled, his hand gripping onto Hazel tighter.